News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Hawkshill Down Radar  (Read 6983 times)

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
Re: Hawkshill Down Radar
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 22:27:44 »
Have attached a Google overlay from map below
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 21:49:13 »
Any idea what the building remains south of the ROC bunker were for? Something to do with the radar / Oboe site I imagine although detached from the main camp
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 00:28:09 »
Thank you for all your input.  If anyone has any more please add it here.

Offline Andyb

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 21:19:45 »
Interesting reading about OBOE and the CAT Mouse sites http://www.rquirk.com/cdnradar/cor/chapter13.pdf
Metiri est cognoscere

Offline Andyb

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 20:36:54 »
Thanks guys, so its really where the Hawkshill activity centre is located. I shall go take a look when I can and photograph anything.

Thanks for all your help.
Metiri est cognoscere

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 19:16:17 »
The entrance to the OBOE site was in Kingsdown village, at the top of Upper Street which leads into Chalk Hill Road, there is a metal gate, behind which is the concrete access road to the site.

The ww1 airfield site was used as a launch for a balloon squadron who moved down from Manston.
The RAF had a type 9000 set at Hawksdown also a type 9000 set at Walmer. The map ref TR 375 491 for first TR 372  492.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 18:41:19 »
Andyb.  Sorry, I can not help you on this, I have never tried to do it.  There is a foot path that passes just south of the site at Hawkshill Down and there are a few buildings extant by the woods alongside Liverpool Road, there is not much to see now.  Kingsdown there is the concrete road still there, mast bases and bases of other buildings.  The wood has now engulfed some on the site.

Offline Andyb

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 14:02:17 »
Hi John G! I Have been trying to overlay your earlier pics on to google earth so I could go and have a site visit but I`m struggling to align the two.

Any thoughts??
Metiri est cognoscere

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 23:43:46 »
Andyb.  I am sure you know that Hawkshill Down was a RN Aerodrome during WW1.  I attach an AP showing the Kingsdown Oboe site.  It seems that these Oboe Stations were 'Cat' Stations with the 'Mouse' Station being at Winterton.  Looking at some books on Odoe I have seen them labelled the other way round.  If you can add any information on the history of Hawkshill Down please let us know.

Offline Andyb

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 20:02:49 »
This is really interesting to me as I spent my childhood playing on Hawkshill and never knew is history.

Found this interesting clip about OBOE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hURdl91MCNQ

Out of interest where was the OBOE installation at Kingsdown?

Andy
Metiri est cognoscere

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 12:32:10 »
Thank you very much for the information cliveh.  I knew about the Oboe site at Kingsdown but could not work out its relationship with Hawkshill Down.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:51:47 »
It was a CHL Station and was transferred to the Air Ministry from the War Office in 1942.

Here's some memories from the Walmer web site:

"Cyril Highman of Newport, Gwent, South Wales recalls how a radar facility at Walmer's Hawkshill Down ensured precision bombing. He writes:

"As a radar mechanic in the RAF, I was posted in early 1943 to a newly built radar station sited at Hawkshill Down. The South Forelands strip of the Kent coast provided the nearest point as the crow flies to the heavily industrialised Ruhr area of Germany. Attempts to bomb this prime target in the early part of the war had been mainly a failure using the navigational systems available to the RAF up to that time. The radar research establishment, having moved to Malvern College from Dorset, contrived a radio navigational system known under the cover name of 'Oboe'. This enabled mosquito aircraft to mark targets with a 90-yard accuracy at 250-mile range. These would be the pathfinders for the masses of heavy bombers now guided by coloured flares dropped by the pathfinders.

"Hawkshill laid down radio navigational beams, working with a sister station in Norfolk, and together they revolutionised the RAF bombing success in attacking German industrial and military targets. The part played by this site in helping to win the war was immense."

Cyril later added a footnote:
"As 'Oboe' developed and enlarged, new units were set up in Kingsdown using magnetron transmitters, not easily jammed by the Germans. From the original small complement of RAF types installed in private houses (I found myself with a nice family in Walmer Castle Road near the Drum public house), the station expanded its WAAF complement taking over some of the many large empty houses in the area."

cliveh

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
Hawkshill Down Radar
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 22:48:56 »
Do any of you know exactly what there was at Hawkshill Down during World War Two.  The site was heavily defended by barbed wire.  There was a Fortress Observation Post there for the Coast Artillery Operations room under Dover Castle.  There was radar there, may be Chain Home Low.  Some say part of the Oboe site at Kingsdown was there.  Why so much barbed wire compared to other similar sites. Any information would be welcome.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines