Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sandwich Wireless Station  (Read 269 times)

Offline ChampChump

• Appreciation 0
Re: Sandwich Wireless Station
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 10:42:20 »

Those are smaller, using the url from my hosting site.   They'll open with a right click which takes one to the source, but that's not exactly what I wanted to do. 

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 10:26:03 »
ChampChump are you trying to post pictures that are too large? The Forum is quite mean with space, best keep the resolution low 800x600 I think, or link to the photos elsewhere - if you can, I can't  :)
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline ChampChump

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 22:12:52 »
Curiouser and curioser.  I'd gleaned my original information from the Historic England documents and that sent me towards New Downs Farm & Princes Golf Course.  Although I'd looked at various threads on here, including the one with the hotel, I'd missed that composite with the mast.  That would seem to knock Historic England's theory out - and mine, too.

I took a better picture today, though whether I can do better than provide a link remains to be seen. 

Apparently not.  What am I doing wrong? 

Many thanks, everyone.  All input is really appreciated.

ETA:  I've also made the error of using the 6" and not 25" maps, until now.  That's inexcusable and had I done so before pointed that way, I might have looked at the coastguard station more closely.  The 'North Tower' and 'South Tower', for example.  My photographs yield nothing on any of the maps prior to 1938 so I think I must be wrong.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 14:59:02 »
Hm; a few more links to chew on!

KHF already has a 1912 photo entitled “Sandwich Bay Wireless Station and Shingle End Cottages”: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5443.msg80182#msg80182.

Furthermore, there appears to be a mast just visible in the background of the composite and last photos here: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=9362.msg80046#msg80046 but I found it easier to spot on Google images – see below.

On the other hand, a completely different location, TR35106 58699, is cited in this: https://content.historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/first-world-war-wireless-stations-england/first-world-war-wireless-stations-in-england.pdf/ - which also contains an image of a hut.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 12:39:40 »
Would it not be logical for the Wireless Station to have been at the Coastguard Station, thus giving you "towers" on WD land: http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=51.2679&lon=1.3831&layers=171&right=BingHyb?

Drat, spoke too soon, better read that as 'one of the Coastguard Stations in the area'!

Offline ChampChump

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 11:07:44 »
Thanks, doug.  I've got an approximate location for the ELG at Broadsalts, just east of the loops in the river; the mast would be somewhere in or near the circuit for that, then, which is where I'm looking already.   I think I'll have to have a look on the ground.  Getting fixated on one site and making it fit the theory isn't necessarily the way to go...

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 09:00:45 »
Sandwich  wireless  station ww1.
Pilot notes for landing at Broadsalts  landing ground, which was just to the other side of the Stour, to Port Richborough. Advises Pilots to circle site. Taking note of nearby Radio Masts, and making sure no sheep were on the landing site.   

Offline ChampChump

• Appreciation 0
Sandwich Wireless Station
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 00:18:50 »
I've been trying to narrow down the location of the WW1 wireless station that was apparently somewhere in the region of Princes of Royal St Georges golf clubs.  The gunnery range I've noted, from other posts, but without (yet) walking the footpath across New Downs Farm I thought I'd ask the experts.  I took this from the air and wondered if what I'm looking at could be the bases of the buildings (plans of which indicate a reasonable collection of huts/buildings).  The photo isn't great as it was snatched on the mobile and I need to do a better one, but just above centre, on the wide strip with a horizontally mown strip below it, is a patch of rectangles that interest me.  I'm probably wrong - I usually am.  This site is just a little to the east of the rifle ranges, perpendicular to the 16th hole of Royal St Georges and more or less parallel with their 18th.   

My second photo doesn't add much but maybe more context.

I'm not sure why my photos aren't displaying, but will post this in the hope someone will put me straight. 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines