News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 50 years since the end of Maidstone's trolleybuses  (Read 2240 times)

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
Re: 50 years since the end of Maidstone's trolleybuses
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2017, 10:53:42 »
As a footnote to this, I just had a city break in Salzburg, Austria, where they use modern trolleybuses.
Big bendybus type vehicles, some air-conditioned, all with comprehensive info display screens inside, showing the next few stops/destination/connections to other services. Was almost bowled over (literally) by their acceleration.

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2017, 15:31:46 »
I've found some great footage of Trolleybuses on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1VU7BKgDkc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKA50V1iVlU

On the second video it is captioned MAIDSTONE DISTRICT BUS MEMORIES, but I can't quite place where most of this is filmed. The destination sign on the front of the buses is too blurred to read.

Offline Robin

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 22:24:50 »
Not sure, but don't think so.  I do not think it was Nu Venture.
Per Ardua ad Astra

Online conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 19:20:31 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Robin

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 17:19:15 »
 :)Thank you.

Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 16:07:17 »
Robin
Digressing slightly if I may,  I was in Chatham this morning travelling along Dock Road, when I saw a 'new' type double-decker bus going in the opposite direction that was liveried in green/brown with, I think, M&D titling on the side.  As it was only a very brief sighting, I did not see what was on the destination board.  Has this been painted for some special occasion.
I suspect that you saw a bus belonging to New Venture which has been painted in a retro version of Chatham & Districts, green, cream & brown. It has the C&D name on the side.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 16:01:35 »
I have seen this one a few times. It doesn't seem to be for a special occasion but I can't for the life of me remember what location it goes to. Will have a look next time I go to Chatham. I was surprised to see the old colours when I first saw it.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Robin

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 14:04:17 »
Digressing slightly if I may,  I was in Chatham this morning travelling along Dock Road, when I saw a 'new' type double-decker bus going in the opposite direction that was liveried in green/brown with, I think, M&D titling on the side.  As it was only a very brief sighting, I did not see what was on the destination board.  Has this been painted for some special occasion.

Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

Offline Oxlade

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 18:57:37 »
Thanks for that smiffy. At least it's good to know that I can at least remember some things from when I was only 3 years old!

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 20:51:19 »
Sorry, Oxlade - I think your memory is definitely playing tricks! Medway never had trolley buses, only trams and they were withdrawn in 1930.

Offline Oxlade

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 14:32:00 »
Interesting to see mention of trolley buses. I'm not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me (again) but I'm sure I remember trolley buses in Chatham (Star Hill in particular springs to mind) in what was probably the late 1950's.  Any ideas as to when they were withdrawn on the M&D services?  I lived in London until I was about 3 years old so I may be thinking of those earlier days...

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 14:16:14 »
If anyone's interested, you can actually BUY die-cast models from Corgi of the Maidstone Trolley Buses.

Here are some pictures I've found of the model:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/V6IAAOSwFdtXxwno/s-l300.jpg

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/272108178515_/Corgi-40101-Weymann-Trolleybus-Maidstone-Corporation-Transport.jpg

http://www.bradfordtrolleybusassociation.co.uk/images/sales_items/Maidstone%20Corporation%20Weyman%20Trolleybus%2040101.jpg

A few years ago I actually brought one of these models for my father as a gift, due to his connections with Maidstone and these Trolley Buses when he was a child.

By the looks of it you can still buy these models online and in model shops, if you know where to look.  :)

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2017, 17:33:47 »
As I was born in April, 1930, I must have been mistaken-
Dave, at the risk of wandering off topic too much, M&D bought their last batch of open top buses in 1929 and sold them on to London Transport in 1933. Is it possible you were travelling on one of these through Gillingham?

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 15:03:03 »
My father grew up in Maidstone when he was a young child with his family, and he even went to school there.

And he actually remembers these brown Trolley Buses travelling along the streets.  :)

He used to catch them with his school friends to and from school.

As mentioned earlier, The East Anglia Transport Museum, just outside Lowestoft, which has a collection of classic and vintage vehicles on display and they actually have one of these Maidstone Trolleybuses in their collection.  :)

I've found a picture of it, with Barming on the destination:

http://www.omnibus.org.nz/publication/rsheet/aug10_tram.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5531/12108497525_384e634430.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bN94rIxOVek/maxresdefault.jpg

I went there when I was on holiday in Norfolk a few years ago, and I actually saw this particular bus, but unfortunately the pictures I took at the time didn't come out too well. :(

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 12:00:52 »
Thanks for that DavetheTrain. We went to Crich when I retired 20 years ago but they wanted 30 each to go in - our pension for the week - so we didn't! I can't argue if the trams stopped at the end of 1930 but... I don't remember any details of the "Tram" ride, just being there. I would have thought 2 or 3 year old as I couldn't have been a babe in arms, could I? AND on the top deck!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines