Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 50 years since the end of Maidstone's trolleybuses  (Read 362 times)

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 26
Re: 50 years since the end of Maidstone's trolleybuses
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2017, 17:33:47 »
As I was born in April, 1930, I must have been mistaken-
Dave, at the risk of wandering off topic too much, M&D bought their last batch of open top buses in 1929 and sold them on to London Transport in 1933. Is it possible you were travelling on one of these through Gillingham?

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 15:03:03 »
My father grew up in Maidstone when he was a young child with his family, and he even went to school there.

And he actually remembers these brown Trolley Buses travelling along the streets.  :)

He used to catch them with his school friends to and from school.

As mentioned earlier, The East Anglia Transport Museum, just outside Lowestoft, which has a collection of classic and vintage vehicles on display and they actually have one of these Maidstone Trolleybuses in their collection.  :)

I've found a picture of it, with Barming on the destination:

http://www.omnibus.org.nz/publication/rsheet/aug10_tram.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5531/12108497525_384e634430.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bN94rIxOVek/maxresdefault.jpg

I went there when I was on holiday in Norfolk a few years ago, and I actually saw this particular bus, but unfortunately the pictures I took at the time didn't come out too well. :(

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 12:00:52 »
Thanks for that DavetheTrain. We went to Crich when I retired 20 years ago but they wanted 30 each to go in - our pension for the week - so we didn't! I can't argue if the trams stopped at the end of 1930 but... I don't remember any details of the "Tram" ride, just being there. I would have thought 2 or 3 year old as I couldn't have been a babe in arms, could I? AND on the top deck!

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 21:16:46 »
mikeb. As I was born in April, 1930, I must have been mistaken- strange though, I can almost hear the rattle! Maybe it was an open top bus but that wouldn't have rattled? Dave the Train. I haven't been back for very many years. Is the Co-op still in the High Street - on LH side looking at the railway station? It was by far the biggest store & I was always fascinated by the money being sent on overhead wires to the central kiosk. Sorry, I'm off thread so better not go any further or I will be chastised!

Not anymore Dave Smith, it became a Wilco about 8 years ago.  It was always a great shop.  As an aside there is an intact cash overhead shuttle at the Crich Tramway Museum in the shop, all set up.  I had to explain to my  daughter what it was. 

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 21:13:04 »
mikeb. As I was born in April, 1930, I must have been mistaken- strange though, I can almost hear the rattle! Maybe it was an open top bus but that wouldn't have rattled? Dave the Train. I haven't been back for very many years. Is the Co-Op still in the High Street- on LH side looking at the rlway station? It was by far the biggest store & I was always fascinated by the money being sent on overhead wires to the central kiosk.Sorry, I'm off thread so better not go any further or I will be chastised!

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 209
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 17:36:13 »
Picture gallery of Maidstone trolley buses.
http://www.trolleybus.net/m1.htm
All the Lads in Town  Merry Wives of Windsor

Offline KeithJG

• Appreciation 19
  • Better to be over the hill than under it
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 16:07:35 »
Back in 1962/3 I used to catch the train from Strood to Maidstone West and then the Barming Trolley Bus, walk down the hill to Teston bridge from it`s terminus and go fishing.

I was just 14yrs then .....never caught anything, just liked being free to roam.

Trolley Bus just entering Lower Stone Street from Gabriels Hill.....they used to fly down there.
Nostalgia is a thing of the past!

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 19:35:44 »
Is my memory not so good, or did M&D operate trams in Gillingham in the 30's? I'm sure I travelled along the High Street on the top ( open) deck when I was small.
[/quote

I would love to be able to have seen some of the things you must have seen Dave Smith,  the Medway Towns during the 1930/40s must have been fascinating.   The transport, dockyard and rapid social changes.

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 18:27:03 »
We should have stuck with Trolleybuses for the simple reason of No Pollution!
... or strictly speaking, pollution moved to wherever they make the electricity.
But yes, removing the diesel fumes from the streets would be great. And why do so many buses seem to have exhaust pipes pointing at the pavement instead of away from it?

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 26
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 14:13:26 »
You could quite possibly have travelled on an open top tram in Gillingham Dave, but they were replaced by buses in Sept. 1930. The trams were operated by Chatham & District Light Railway Co which sold out to M&D in 1927, (the local councils having refused to do so themselves!).

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 14:01:19 »
Is my memory not so good, or did M&D operate trams in Gillingham in the 30's? I'm sure I travelled along the High Street on the top ( open) deck when I was small.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 26
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 09:48:21 »
M&D only operated trolleys in Hastings & Bexhill following the absorption of Hastings Tramways in 1935. The Hastings system changed to bus operation I think in 1957.
Some nice clips of Gillingham Depot in this link as well, thanks conan.

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 07:58:58 »
But where are all the people and the traffic?

;-)

Offline StuarttheGrant

• Appreciation 9
  • Poynter House a long way from Dover.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 22:06:52 »
We should have stuck with Trolleybuses for the simple reason of No Pollution!
Thanks for the Links conan.
Stuart...

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 19:53:34 »
There's some footage here of the last trolley bus to run in Maidstone,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcrdkd0OCHw

and some footage of M&D trolleys running in various parts of Kent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKA50V1iVlU
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines