Formerly "The Exaltation of the Cross", begun in the 12th century and completed in the 15th. There`s evidence of a Saxon church on the site before the Norman conquest.
The North Transept (or Tylden Chapel) built at the close of the 12th century. The Tyldens lived nearby in Milstead Manor House. The last of the Tyldens died in 1949.
The South Transept (Higham Chapel) was demolished in 1672 but rebuilt in 1873 when there was a great renovation of the whole church.
The Choir was completed in 1200.
The two pointed arches opening into the Chancel are made of Clunch (chalk).
The Sanctuary is early 13th century and was restored in 1873.
There is not any reference to a crypt, but at the right hand side of the south porch there are stone steps, at the bottom of which is a door which may be the entrance to a crypt/vault or perhaps some sort of store room beneath the porch? (See photo 1).
A weather vane was added in 1779 which has a bullet hole, made by one of the Tyldens, shooting with a rook rifle for a bet, from the gardens of the Manor House in the early 20th century.
The Tylden vault can be found in the churchyard.
During the renovation of 1873 a second hand organ was purchased and installed in the North Transept (Tylden Chapel) and moved to the South Transept (Higham Chapel in 1962).