News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Folkestone warren used as training area  (Read 839 times)

Offline tredgett

• Appreciation 0
Re: Folkestone warren used as training area
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 16:36:32 »
Many thanks for the information as regards rifle sighting, we have found old pistol cartridges there in the past but I can`t remember whether they were ACP (automatic calibre pistol) or not, I am suprised that no-one has any information on the range but guess it could have been part of a "no go zone" during the war years .The clay cliffs above the Warren itself were mined and there is an old you tube video showing the mines being washed out with high pressure hoses after the war .The concrete beach defences were bulldozed into a heap where they remain to this day .

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 9
Re: Folkestone warren used as training area
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 11:10:47 »
If firing revolvers, the cases are retained in the weapon and are easily collected for future re-use. Rifles will eject the case either manually or as semi-auto, and some are often lost into the surrounding area.

Short range rifle fire may have been on a zero range, where you shoot at a target like a thermometer, aiming at the ball at the bottom, and the vertical is graduated to show the range that the sights are set at indicated by the bullet hit The left/right (windage) is also zeroed onto this vertical line.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline tredgett

• Appreciation 0
Folkestone warren used as training area
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:09:03 »
Dear all
Following on from the underwhelming response to my original post I decided to do a bit of investigation of my own .
I returned to the old range and recovered a .45 copper jacket head from what was the bank stop (now gone but would have been roughly where the fence is in the photograph .We came back along the site about 30 yards or so and dug up a number of .303 rounds which I have condensed into one photo. All are dated either 1944 or 1942 and the makers details are well documented on other websites. We could not find any of the pistol cases but as the heads can be found in the bank (.38 and .45 ) they were definitely in use here From the dates on the cartridges it would appear that this is a wartime range although why rifles would be shot over such a short range we will probably never know .

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines