News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alma Street, Sheerness  (Read 562 times)

Offline M N Smith

• Appreciation 0
Re: Alma Street, Sheerness
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 17:05:39 »
Thank you all for your comments and ideas. I will keep you all updated of any developments.

Martin.

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 19:45:42 »
I think a lot of the Alma Roads/Streets that you see commemorate the Battle of Alma (Crimea) of 1854. However, it's just possible that the street could have been built earlier and renamed from something else.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 15:46:50 »
"The OS first edition shows that housing growth had begun east of Mile Town, with the
construction of terraced streets immediately beyond the Ordnance buffer, at what had become
known as Marine Town by that date. In 1864, the housing covered only two small areas; one
tightly focussed around the junction of Alma Road and the seafront, the other around Charles
Street (the northern end of what is now Richmond Street) and Alma Street."

https://content.historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/characterisation-of-sheerness-kent-project-report/61034355-r01-sheerness-characterisation-project-report.pdf/

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 09:55:11 »
Your best bet is going to be plans of the area, the 1841, 1851, 1861 census may give you an idea when the road was initially used and how many properties there were.

Some of the Sheerness defence plans may help that I have posted.  I also vaguely remember some plans regarding Edward Banks who owned land in the area.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 14:17:13 »
Just a little comment. When we were married in 1954 we lived in No. 82 Alma Street
Mr. Hubert Snook, who owned a General Store near the Town Clock (now the Travel Agent) bought No. 82.
He let the house to us and we repaid his mortgage. The house cost 250 and Mr. Snook did ANY work that was required: e.g. bringing the outside toilet to inside and installing a bathroom, removing the air raid shelter etc., etc.
Often, when we ordered new furniture it was delivered to 82 Alma Road who was a friend of mine Len Hedge.
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 08:39:45 »
Hello,

Looking on old-maps.co.uk Alma street existed on the 1864 map look at the map and check your house is there. The map shows a pub at the western end of the east half of the street and another pub at the western end of the west half of the street called The Heights of Alma. There are numbers on the 1861 census but not sure how they relate to house numbers of the time or modern house numbers. There is a beer seller listed at No. 65 (is beer seller a publican or a salesman?) James Selling is listed at Hero of the Crimea (71 Alma St. ?) with his family as Town Carter, The Heights of Alma is listed as 95 with Joseph Bridges as the head occupation Engineer.

Any help?

Offline M N Smith

• Appreciation 0
Alma Street, Sheerness
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 18:33:15 »
Hi all,

I'm been trying to find out how old our house is in Alma Street, Sheerness. When we brought this house in 2015 the surveyor reported the age of the property as 1900, I soon discounted that figure! I thought the our local council would maybe have some idea but was told Swale Borough Council don't have records going back that far. Looking in the internet I found that the Hero of the Crimea pub which is at the end of our street was listed in records as licensed to James Selling 1861-1874. Seeing that the Crimean War was between the dates from 5 Oct 1853 30 Mar 1856 and the Battle of the Alma 20 September 1854 info from Wikipedia, I can only presume the public house was built just after and maybe the houses along Alma Street. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear from you.

Martin.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines