News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quarry Mill  (Read 329 times)

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
Re: Quarry Mill
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 21:00:41 »
kms, take a look at the background with the Cathedral and Castle. This is precisely the view you would see across the river from the location of the Quarry Mill.

To be honest smiffy, I didn't know where the Quarry or Quarry Hill was, and having looked at the 2nd OS, I see it.   Just seems very high though!

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 20:45:45 »
kms, take a look at the background with the Cathedral and Castle. This is precisely the view you would see across the river from the location of the Quarry Mill.

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 19:15:40 »

This could well be Quarry Mill, but looks a bit higher in terms of siting than one or two other engravings show.  If I was a betting man I would say its Shorne Mill before the roundhouse was added.  I walked up the hill at Shorne on Sunday and it was quite unforgiving!

This is Quarry Mill in 'A View from Frindsbury' 1 October 1770. Taken from Coles Finch.  There is another smaller engraving in there.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Quarry Mill
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 16:08:10 »
This is a painting probably from around 1800 by the Maidstone artist William Alexander. Looking at the background scene, I believe that this must be the old Quarry mill near Frindsbury Church. Thought to be one of the oldest in Kent, Coles Finch reckons that it was destroyed about 1850 after it "ran away" and caught fire in a storm.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines