News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Bluebird - private Air Sea Rescue motor Launch at Folkestone  (Read 676 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: Bluebird - private Air Sea Rescue motor Launch at Folkestone
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 14:30:49 »
Sorry, I can't help except to say it isn't THE Bluebird- that really would have been a FAST patrol boat!

Offline CommanderChuff

• Appreciation 4
Bluebird - private Air Sea Rescue motor Launch at Folkestone
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 10:27:56 »
The story of Folkestone harbour in the war is now becoming clearer as more information is gathered in from various sources.  I now learn that the motor yacht Bluebird was requisitioned by the RN to provide an air sea rescue service from Folkestone under the RN Patrol Service.  And I believe that the attached photo shows the same yacht alongside the coal wharf in the inner harbour in 1934.  Although the name cannot be made out I am hoping that somebody may recognise the vessel and confirm that it is the Bluebird.

History TImeline:
1.   Royal Naval Patrol Service:  Local Air Sea-Rescue Service was provided at Folkestone by fast patrol boat BLUEBIRD commanded by Ty/Sub Lt J D Caldwell RNVR.
2.   Combined Operations base. Base was commissioned as HMS Allenby on 14/3/43 and paid off on 10/4/45. Some records show that the base was in existence as early as 1/12/42. Possibly called Bluebird III before 12/42. If so reverted to Bluebird III 11/45.  The Royal Pavilion Hotel provided accommodation for the RN unit and stores.

David,
Royal Navy, Aircraft Engineer, Project Manager, Yachtsman, Eroica Cyclist,  Railway Modeller

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines