News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Wildfire Buildings  (Read 935 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
Re: Wildfire Buildings
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 11:47:26 »
Looks like it may have been used as some kind of overspill accommodation for Pembroke then. I expect dad was there to make sure that any officers had a decent menu to choose from.

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 20:28:10 »
A bit more -

From 1954 until 14th October 1959 Wildfire was the Sheerness Accommodation Centre.

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/w/wildfire/index2.shtml

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 18:53:10 »
Thanks for that link, Longpockets - it was posted in 2007 so it looks like he didn't find the photos he was talking about. Dad was a PO cook so the bit about the galley was quite interesting - however he was an officer's cook so I'm not sure if he would have been cooking up stuff for the ratings.

I wonder when the buildings themselves were finally vacated, and how come they were still being used by the Navy after being paid off?

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 17:00:46 »
I found this here - https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/hms-wildfire-hm-dockyard-sheerness.32040/

It would appear from this the buildings carried on after HMS Wildfire was paid off.

I was on a HMS MUTINE, an Algerine sweeper, there in 1957, where we eventually paid her off, and we moved into Wildfire buildings as soon as we stopped engines for the last time.

Wildfire was a unique base as there definitely was not another shore base like her in the "Andrew", mainly due I suppose to the number of patrol boats and small ships that used the moorings and dockyard.

Everything about it was casual, and very laid back. Even in Wildfire it was small ship routine, no Bull**it, everything "Pusser" was kept to the minimum, you wandered into the galley on Saturday and Sunday mornings either to help the chef, or to cook your own as many times he would be hung over, you could choose whatever you wanted for brekie, as it was so casual.

At weekends we would all stand round the galley stove and skite about last night run ashore, it could have been the way that many small Chatham bases were run, (this was the only time I got near to Chatham},  but it was a matelots dream posting, mine was too short, only until we unloaded stores etc.

As I said, I had just come of a sweeper, where it was canteen messing, ie. where the killick of the mess gets so much money to cater for the mess for a month, if you run out of cash then we all had to dip into our own pockets, to buy something from the Naafi Store, or from the Tanky. One of the last dinners we had before the next months allowance was due was "Kippers and Custard" hmmmm sounds bad, well it was, as it was all on one plate: roll:If you didn't use all the money that was allowed to the mess, you of course got it to split amongst you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It never happened. :cry: :cry:

The jetty and the old hulks there, Cornwallis jetty, were great places to fish, and I got quite a feeling when I walked over them. I was fascinated by the names that were carved into the timbers, trying to figure if they were from old matelots, or from prisoners who had been on the hulks. When you saw all the work that went into building a ship of the line you could really appreciate the skill to build something as huge as these vessels had been. The old Chippies would cut numbers and letters into the beams whilst they were still on land, so that when they went to the hard where they were being built, the shipwrights knew where every bit went.

I caught my first lobster there, I'd never even seen one before this, so I was quite chuffed. It was caught, cooked and eaten in Wildfire. lol

I'll try to see if I have any photos of "Wildfire" or the old hulks, if I find any I will post them, I lost hundreds of photos a few weeks ago so these may have been amongst the ones that I lost.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
Wildfire Buildings
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 16:07:11 »
Whilst looking through my father's Naval service record, I noticed that under the "Name of Ship" heading one of the entries was for "Wildfire Buildings (Sheerness)". This was from June 1955 until June 1957. I am led to believe that Wildfire at Sheerness was paid off in 1950, so can anyone throw any light on this?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines