News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question about the Medway Forts  (Read 1250 times)

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
Re: Question about the Medway Forts
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 11:00:55 »
I have tried to keep my fort datasheets up to date and you will find them here:
https://www.victorianforts.co.uk/fortdata.htm
I am always happy to receive any updates and corrections to these.
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

Offline Jon

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 13:45:45 »
I will let you know when I have done my reports. Just a quick question, what is happening at Fort Borstal. I have read it was housing but then I have seen recent photographs of it and it seems very much uninhabited? Also, what is happening to the Citadel at Western Heights? It was the immigration centre for some time, is that still the case?

The Citadel is no longer the Immigration Removal Centre, it was closed by the Prison Service a couple of years ago. http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/dover-immigration-removal-centre-to-44813/

With regards to the Western Heights as a whole, I would suggest looking at the Western Heights Preservation Society http://www.doverwesternheights.org/. They have various open days and working parties.  It would be worth contacting them.  We also hold plans etc. here at Dover Library.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 17:42:58 »
I know Fort Clarence (on the doorstep practically with Fort Borstal) has been refurbished into new apartments and the tunnel complexes have been sealed off and are looked after by English Heritage.
***I am still the child within***

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 13:22:31 »
Greetings,
Have you contacted Bob, he is THE expert on the Forts off Herne Bay etc

bob@bobleroi.co.uk

Regards Colin
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 11:59:10 »
Fort Borstal is a privately run stables with the owners home inside the fort, certainly not uninhabited.

Dover isn't my area so I don't know as much about the sites there, but as far as I know it is still used as a detention centre.

Offline FrederickDeane

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 11:11:47 »
I will let you know when I have done my reports. Just a quick question, what is happening at Fort Borstal. I have read it was housing but then I have seen recent photographs of it and it seems very much uninhabited? Also, what is happening to the Citadel at Western Heights? It was the immigration centre for some time, is that still the case?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 10:12:41 »
Hi,

Let me know if you think of anywhere else.  Most places like this I have come across and have visited, some are still not accessible though.  I can give you an idea of what access is like.  I would like to see some of your work, it would be interesting in the depth of work you are doing.

Offline FrederickDeane

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 07:56:33 »
Thank you very much for that, I look forward to having a look around.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 14:05:28 »
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I joined it primarily because I have an obsession with forts, being from Kent I have naturally become interested in the many forts in the area. This has led me to my question, I am planning a trip to visit all of the forts that I can and I plan to write up some detailed reports with the history etc to try and raise awareness of these amazing places. My friend and I are planning on doing a quick blog about some of the fortifications around the UK starting with Kent and the Channel Islands.

Now my question, considering many of the forts are not open to the public, is there any way I might be able to organise access maybe even a tour of certain locations? The ones I have taken an interest in I will post below, I realise places such as Fort Amherst are easy to access and I have already had a good look around spur battery so Fort Amherst is not such a concern in terms of access.

Forts I would love to write about and explore:
Fort Luton - Work Days each Saturday, usually ok for visitors
Fort Borstal - No access granted, violence sometimes faced if turn up uninvited
Fort Horstead - Fort Horsted - Privately owned and business premises.  Uninvited visitors not welcome, tours sometimes arranged by their business centre in the summer months.  I suggest emailing them and asking.
Cliffe Fort - Private, access discouraged but usually possible.  Flooded, sometimes to knee level.  Bats present so advise strongly to research and avoid that area.  (Ignoring my suggestion will result in a ban and access to information on this site removed
Slough Fort - Run by volunteers, open days arranged through the summer.  Find their facebook page and ask
Grain Land Fort remains - Open land, tunnels sometimes accessible via unofficial means
Garrison Point - Private docks, access not granted.  High level of asbestos in the fort and high security port
Fort Hoo - get a boat
Fort Darnet - Get a boat
Shornecliff Redoubt - Some landscaping evident
Dymchurch Redoubt - MoD land and training area/facility.  Very rare to have tours and as security level high very unlikely.

If anyone can help me with maybe contacts of the owners of some of these or even suggestions of other places worth exploring and writing about I would greatly appreciate it, thank you very much for the help.

- Freddie

Offline FrederickDeane

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 09:10:40 »
Yes, I agree with you, if some of these places are never going to be restored, well their history will be lost, so I suppose this is an effort to document the history before some are beyond repair.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 08:04:45 »
It would also be nice to view inside the Gun towers which were often between these forts such as Delce gun tower which was going to be opened at one point as the entrance is still there, but no more was heard about it.
***I am still the child within***

Offline FrederickDeane

• Appreciation 0
Question about the Medway Forts
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:39:02 »
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I joined it primarily because I have an obsession with forts, being from Kent I have naturally become interested in the many forts in the area. This has led me to my question, I am planning a trip to visit all of the forts that I can and I plan to write up some detailed reports with the history etc to try and raise awareness of these amazing places. My friend and I are planning on doing a quick blog about some of the fortifications around the UK starting with Kent and the Channel Islands.

Now my question, considering many of the forts are not open to the public, is there any way I might be able to organise access maybe even a tour of certain locations? The ones I have taken an interest in I will post below, I realise places such as Fort Amherst are easy to access and I have already had a good look around spur battery so Fort Amherst is not such a concern in terms of access.

Forts I would love to write about and explore:
Fort Luton, Fort Borstal, Fort Horstead, Cliffe Fort, Slough Fort, Grain Land Fort remains, Garrison Point, Fort Hoo, Fort Darnet, Shornecliff Redoubt, Dymchurch Redoubt.

If anyone can help me with maybe contacts of the owners of some of these or even suggestions of other places worth exploring and writing about I would greatly appreciate it, thank you very much for the help.

- Freddie

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines