News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kitchener's Recruits, Chatham  (Read 629 times)

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
Re: Kitchener's Recruits, Chatham
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 11:39:02 »
Smiffy, re dating. I've always understood that "Kitchener's army" referred to conscription in 1916. That goes back to school days. If it's as you suggest, 1914, then I certainly don't have any family in the photo. If it's 1916 it's technically possible. I have my grandfather's residents' pass for Sheppey, issued in May 1916, and his appearance and clothing are identical with the relevant head in the photo. I'm working on copying the photos for comparison.

After some hasty googling, all agree with you it refers to the volunteer recruitment of 1914-1915. Most also mention the conscripted units at the battle of the Somme in 1916. Wikipedia seems to refer to all recruitment right through the war.

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 18:24:52 »
An explanation of Kitchener's Armies is here - http://www.1914-1918.net/kitcheners.htm

From the above web site - Can I tell if my soldier was in Kitchener's Army? First we need to be specific. The entire army could be called Kitchener's Army, but what we usually mean are the units in the six New Armies and the men who sailed with the original contingents. To determine whether a man was in that category it is necessary to find his unit and his date of disembarkation (from medal or service records) and match it up with the dates of that unit.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 14:49:15 »
I'm not sure about the date, but apparently the recruitment campaign headed up by Kitchener had passed its peak by the end of 1914. August - September saw the greatest number of new recruits (about half a million) so I would imagine that the photograph dates from this early period of the war.

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 12:57:36 »
Nice find Smiffy, Is there any date to this photo? Presumably summer 1916. I have possibly spotted my grandfather and his cousin. I know the odds are all against it, anyone could recognise anyone, but it's intriguing enough to look further into. What I do know is both were in Egypt by early 1917, grandfather with the Middlesex Regiment and the cousin with the Pioneer Corps. Grandfather jotted place names and dates on the back of a postcard, from Alexandria to Jerusalem (Dec 1917).

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 14:23:00 »
I think you're on the money here, bromptonboy - well spotted. This grab from Google Earth looks a bit weird but shows the same view today.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 13:26:30 »
I am fairly certain the building on the right is what is now the Royal Engineers Museum off Prince Arthur Road. It looks like the rear of the museum building where the road passes over the moat towards Brompton Barracks.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 12:50:53 »
I didn't know that but as you say, it was pure coincidence!

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 23:35:36 »
Can't answer the question but by a curious coincidence you have posted this on the same date in 1916 that  HMS Hampshire was sunk taking Lord Kitchener to watery grave.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Kitchener's Recruits, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 13:49:02 »
I'm trying to ID the location of this picture. The building on the right may provide a clue, but I can't place it.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines