News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Leyland Titan TD7 with Camden Coaches, Sevenoaks  (Read 476 times)

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 26
Re: Leyland Titan TD7 with Camden Coaches, Sevenoaks
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 10:28:33 »
JohnH,  From several sources this seems to be, more or less, the history of this bus, much is as per your original post.
GCD 688 was ordered & registered by Southdown March 1941, one of 27, but was diverted to Crosville and never ran for Southdown.It was originally bodied by Park Royal, probably with a war time utility body, but this is not certain. It was re bodied by Crosville but using frames supplied by another body builder, Pearsons in 1952/53. It seems all the original 27 of the Southdown order were rebodied around this time which lends weight to the originals having utility bodies. It is a strange 6 bay body to be sure.
Finally conans photo was taken in New Addington during a London bus strike in 1958, so, the replacement body did not last long with Crosville, hardly worth the effort surely!

Offline DGM

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 21:09:07 »
Unfortunately I cannot add any detailed information regarding the vehicle, however I am sure I have travelled on it when Camden Coaches provided transport for our weekly trip to the Sevenoaks Swimming Baths from St Johns Primary School.  Mr Boakes kept his fleet under the first railway bridge on the mainline north of Sevenoaks Station.  Another double decker that they owned in latter years was, I think,  painted dark blue and cream and may perhaps have originated from Bournemouth Corporation.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 26
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 08:57:17 »
Thanks conan. I will circulate it round some fellow "omnobologist's" and see what they come up with.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 00:08:25 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 26
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 23:25:52 »
Have you a photo of this beast?

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 0
Leyland Titan TD7 with Camden Coaches, Sevenoaks
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 16:59:07 »
I am fascinated by a Leyland Titan TD7, registration GCD 688, that was in the fleet of Camden Coaches of Sevenoaks from the late 1950s to the mid 1960s and used on a school run.  I understand that Camden Coaches (the proprietor was a Mr. Boakes) acquired it from RARDE at Fort Halstead but it had been a Crosville bus before that. 

From information received some time ago from Dick Gilbert (he of "Classic Buses" website fame), this bus was originally ordered by Southdown (hence the Brighton registration) early in WW2, but diverted to Crosville (which operated in Cheshire and North Wales) without being delivered to Southdown.  Although the chassis dated from early in the war, the body was of the "relaxed specification" wartime type and this suggested that the body dated from late in the war, or maybe just after the war.

Mr. Gilbert tells me that this body was fitted to the chassis in the early 1950s and is described as a Crosville body.  Did Crosville indeed build its own bodies on some of its vehicles?  Would this body really have been built to a wartime specification as late as the early 1950s, or would this body have been transferred from another vehicle?  Alternatively, if this body was not built by Crosville themselves, which company did build this body?  Or, if this was a Crosville rebuild of another manufacturer's body, who built the original body?

It would be interesting to get to the bottom of this!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines