News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Political History.  (Read 551 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
Re: Political History.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 21:47:11 »
Just going on the Guinness Book of World Records, that states that Canterbury has the longest time served by one party, Tory, since 1841. Got to admit Rosie is better looking than the last incumbent.....

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 17:58:00 »
Not quite true.
As a Borough Canterbury returned two MPs. There were both a Liberal and a Tory MPs elected on numerous occasions. There was even a breakaway fringe Conservative MP after the later 1800s parliamentary changes. 

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 10:34:11 »
Even though I've lived here in Oz for more years than in Britain, I still follow British politics and their ups and downs keenly. I was an enthusiastic supporter of joining what was then the "Common Market" years ago when we voted to join but gradually  lost that over the years when it morphed into its present all powerful state dictating what happens to everything and everybody. Or so it seems to us here.
I well remember my dad going down to the bottom of Baker Street to remonstrate with my mate`s dad about giving me a picture of Arthur Bottomley who was either the MP for us (Rochester and Chatham) then, or aspiring to be so.
Dad was furious at what he considered undue influence on a young mind and tore the pic up in front of him. I wonder what he would think now of the turmoil there'll be after this latest election?
Personally I vowed years ago never to have a passport which was an EU thing.....
AlanH.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
Political History.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 09:43:15 »
Just in case anyone has not noticed political history has been made today, 9-6-2017. Not since 1841 has Canterbury been represented by any other party but Conservative/Tory, that changed last night when one of the, possibly the most, safest seats for them fell to Labour.

I don't want to take the forum down the argument road but this does need to be noted here and recorded for the future.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines