News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Strood Hill Mill  (Read 475 times)

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
Re: Strood Hill Mill
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 23:26:26 »
I think we can forgive Coles Finch for not getting the date spot on.  There are much bigger errors out there, highlighted in e.g. Gillingham threads.

There were four mills in Strood, i) and ii) a pair (Killicks and Fields, at the top of Strood Hill/Broomhill) iii) A 'small beans windmill' on a farm owned by J Rawlings in 1806.

And the one mentioned in the advert.  What is clear is that out of all of them, this latter one was poorly sited, being at the bottom of the hill, hence needing to be much taller than the others.   The building up of the town probably contributed to its downfall, and made the mill suffer from wind flow problems.  The land was probably much more valuable for building in 1855, and the area was overrun by other mills; in particular the big ones at Frindsbury.  Let's not forget the Strood tide mill either.....

I don't suspect that it was a Killick built mill, although John Killick still owned the family mill at the top of the hill until his death in the 1840s.  The three Strood Hill mills do get a bit mixed up at times.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Strood Hill Mill
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 22:15:18 »
This mill was being advertised as a going concern for several weeks before this advert, so it looks as though there were no takers. Coles Finch estimated 1860 as the date of demolition but it would appear that the actual year of its demise was 1855, or shortly thereafter.

From the South Eastern Gazette.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines