News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mass parachute bail out over Medway Marshes  (Read 507 times)

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 33
Re: Mass parachute bail out over Medway Marshes
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 16:13:09 »
Grandarog, thanks for your input, forgotten all about that blog.
Herb Collector, to be honest, I haven't a clue where Grain Point is.We were shown the way out to the wreck by a local lad who lived in Hoo. All I can recall is that we walked along a path on the bank, passing a couple of old wrecked barges, then moved across the mud flats out to the wreck, it was a long time ago. I have a feeling the Grain refinery was being built at the time, our guide said he was a chain boy, working for one of the contractors.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 215
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 14:42:33 »
(.........)  we went out to the remains of an aircraft on Grain Point, not much to see just some aluminium laying about plus a still inflated tyre. Story was, it was a B17 that crashed there after the crew abandoned it?  (........)

Where exactly is Grain Point? its not marked on my Ordnance Survey map. Is it the northernmost point of the Isle of Grain?

(........) Afraid your Italian story would be just that; they were the butt of jokes as they were generally regarded as "yellow bellies!" (.....)

If I was an Italian and had the fascist Mussolini as my leader I would get away at the first opportunity as well!
Debe  Ali Farka Touré & Toumani Diabaté

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 95
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 12:26:54 »
Heres your old reply to and whiteley's post.

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11205.0

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 11:52:10 »
Dave Smith, thanks for your kind comment. I think perhaps not stupid but ignorant . Many years later I learned of the dangers of fast incoming tides at that point, plus the fact that at that time it was a "restricted "area. Your remarks about getting answers has given me a spur. So I will see if we can delve deeper. I will report back ! WATCH THIS SPACE.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 12:04:42 »
Signals99. I don't see what was stupid! Just up my street in those days as a teenager. The B17 would have had 11 or more crew & if the rest had bailed out, probably the pilot would have remained to put it down somewhere safe - possibly getting killed in the process! When I reported the mid air collision of two Martin Marauders over Gillingham in 1944 ( see " wartime memories" KHF) some real enthusiasts were able to say where they came from & who the crews were. So, no doubt you could get all the answers from like minded bods - Internet?

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 17:39:51 »
Ref parachutes over Grain area. As a teenager, a few of us did a very stupid thing, we went out to the remains of an aircraft on Grain Point, not much to see just some aluminium laying about plus a still inflated tyre. Story was, it was a B17 that crashed there after the crew abandoned it?  I cannot verify the story apart from the fact that the remains were there in the early fifties.
I have no idea of the crew numbers of that type of aircraft, probably could if I cared to search, but if they bailed out, may be one answer to the enquire.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 21:04:23 »
Maid of Kent. I was evacuated from Aug.'39 to Aug.'42 so it must have happened at that time. When I got home (East Gillingham) for the rest of the war, as a 12 year old very interested in what was going on, I certainly would have heard about it. Afraid your Italian story would be just that; they were the butt of jokes as they were generally regarded as " yellow bellies!" e.g. In the desert, how can you tell a German soldier from an Italian one?- The German is facing you. etc.

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
Mass parachute bail out over Medway Marshes
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 12:40:04 »
Can some one help date a wartime memory?

The incident took place some time between August 1940 and October 1943 when I was resident in the area - anytime outside that date isn't what I am referring to.
I have a feeling it was a Sunday afternoon when the St Johns Mission Sunday School had been held, for some reason at East Court Farm on the Lower Rainham Rd (could be wrong). All I remember seeing was what  seemed as a mass of Parachutes descending from the sky over the Medway towards Isle of Grain & Sheerness. Many years later on enquiry was told that they were all Italians equipped with their pyjamas & toothbrushes, who wanted to be out of the war.

Does anyone know the truth behind this tale. Help would be appreciated.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines