News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Luton shelters  (Read 604 times)

Offline OldMuzza

• Appreciation 8
Re: Luton shelters
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 18:07:57 »
Yes, they were still there in the 1950's - I used to walk past them on my way to and from the schools in Pheasant Road.  I'm not sure that I remember five blocks at that time but there were certainly three.

Until about 1954 we were living in one of the prefabs in Lee Road and the journey to school took me down Third Avenue where I then had the choice of staying on the roads to get to Pheasant Road or going up the Banks to get to the top of Pheasant Road. After Lee Road we moved to Wayfield and in the summer often walked home from the schools via the Banks rather than along Street End Road.

They were still "open" ie the entrances hadn't been bricked up - dark and dank inside as I remember. I can't say that I did a great deal of exploring, having been warned by my parents to keep out on account of the "odd people" who allegedly  frequented them. Being usually on my own, and discretion being the better part of valour, I duly complied with the parental instructions.

I don't remember when they were demolished - I went to secondary school at the end of 1959 and have a feeling that they were still there then.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 14:38:09 »
They were still there in the early '50s according to the Ordnance Survey.

Offline Mary E

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 07:14:53 »
Hi Smiffy,  I was at the 'top', junior girls', school in the late 40s-early 50s.  Have no recollection of the 5 buildings shown - it comes back as just empty space.  What is showing as a white rectangle is the only shelter I remember.

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 19:23:12 »
I dont know about those shelters, there were three brick built air raid shelters, built into the top
of the Coney Banks ( Connie Banks ) for the Magpie Hall Road residents. Concrete tops, perhaps.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
Luton shelters
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 21:46:18 »
These shelters in Luton don't seem to have been mentioned before. Junction of Alexandra and Pheasant roads.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines