News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Telephone Exchange, Green Street, Gillingham  (Read 872 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: Telephone Exchange, Green Street, Gillingham
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 11:54:00 »
conan. Thanks for that BUT my map has address of Geographia as 63, Fleet Street, which is not shown on the list but at least it must have been before '87- the date they were absorbed by Collins Bartholomew. The only code anywhere is ISBN 0 09 201180 2 & the price 55p.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 23:21:26 »
This link might help date your Geographia map

http://www.oldessexmaps.co.uk/datingmaps.html
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 12:49:09 »
Leofwine. I have a Geographia 41/2" to the mile map of Medway towns- typically not dated! Theo' Place then was a cul de sac, a short distance before Canterbury Street. M2 is shown & Hoath Way but not the further link to the tunnel ( if that helps dating it?). As it used to be "Post Office Telephones", it was very likely that the exchange was at the back of the P.O. & S.O. I well remember the P.O. in the 30's, so the S.O. must have been built at the same time & Gillingham certainly needed a Tele' exchange, so your surmise sounds right to me.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 15:25:26 »
Modified Theodore place is on the 1990 Google Earth, so I guess the road went in during the 80s.

I did wonder if the earlier exchange would be in or near the GPO, and certainly the location on the map is just behind the Post Office. The Sorting office behind the P.O. is on the 1960 G.E. view, replacing some other buildings present on the 1940 view. I wonder if the removed buildings were the old exchange and it was rebuilt larger and further west, in its current location?
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 15:06:44 »
Looks like the modified Theodore Place is on the 1991 map but not the 1981, so that narrows the window a bit.

Wouldn't early telephone exchanges have been sited within the Post Office?

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 14:20:10 »
I got the impression he was referring to an earlier date than that (pre-war), but I could be mistaken.   I just checked historic images on Google Earth and it looks as though the Exchange was there by Dec 1960, but was not in 1940.  I wondered if there was an earlier building elsewhere in Green Street, but it moved.

What does intrigue me on that map is that Theodore place is not a driveable road old Green Street with the part that used to be Gardiner Street. I wonder when that was put in. Perhaps at the same time as Sappers' Walk and the pedestrianisation of the High Street?
=========

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 14:09:02 »
This is from the 1971 map. I can't see it on anything earlier, so I assume it dates from the 1960's.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
Telephone Exchange, Green Street, Gillingham
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 13:22:32 »
I was talking to someone who said there used to be a Telephone Exchange in Green Street (Gillingham), but they were unsure of the location. I think it would have been in the early 20th century, but does anyone know where abouts in Green Street it was?
=========

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines