News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ARP records/Bomb Census for Medway  (Read 621 times)

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
Re: ARP records/Bomb Census for Medway
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 10:01:45 »
I believe the War Diary for the Medway Group Control is kept in the County Archives at Maidstone. Keith Gulvin of Fort Amherst is the most likely person to know.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 21:41:19 »
Thanks Longpockets

I looked at those records on the NA website, but they only appear to have Rochester, and I'm looking for Chatham and Gillingham, which seem to be absent (unless perhaps Rochester was a district which covered the whole Medway Towns, but I can't ascertain this at present.)

I have the full civilian death list for Gillingham, Chatham and Rochester from the civilian role of honour, which helps locate bomb sites where there were fatalities, but I'm also trying to find non-fatal bomb hits too.

I know the ARP recorded anywhere a bomb landed, exploded or unexploded, also recording details such as type/size of bomb, what units were dispatched to deal with it, casualties, etc.  The 'command center' in the tunnels at Fort Amherst has these details displayed on the boards for a particular day, and I'm led to believe these are actual events and details from the surviving records, but unfortunately no one there I've spoken to knows exactly who researched it, or where the records are.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 19:19:33 »
Would these be they National Archive

Is this for Rochester?

This was in the same topic.

Hi all.

Have mentioned the cwgc civilian dead (Gillingham) list on another post, here's a list for Rochester. Gives addreses for houses bombed where persons killed/adresses where a worker was killed whilst elsewhere.

The link is here

Jayzi.

The report is here

Link to topic

Any use?

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
ARP records/Bomb Census for Medway
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 17:26:56 »
Does anyone know where the Bomb Census and ARP records for Medway are kept? I've tried the Local Archives at Strood, but they don't have them.  I know the V1/V2 map published by the Kent Messenger at the end of the war is readily available, but I'm more interested in the 'regular' bomb map/census.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines