News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Defrocked?  (Read 269 times)

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 3
    • The Upchurch Collection
Re: Defrocked?
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 20:38:54 »

I think the official term for defrocked is "deposition from holy orders" and is covered by Cannon Law, might help with any future searches.

Yes thank you, that was pointed out by Lambeth Palace but I was just using the widely known term.  My man was a curate in Devon and actions were taken against him first, in the Exeter Diocese and then these were referred to Lambeth Palace. There was no formal pension scheme in 1897 although the clergy could pay into a " system ", which became available on retirement.  It would seem he also lost 10 years of contributions, but I can't confirm this. Lambeth can't help on this either.

I just wondered if anyone on here, had any experience to comment on.

I am grateful Longpockets for your comments.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Upchurch in old picture postcards.
Otterham Kent - Your Heritage.

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
Re: Defrocked?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 09:37:30 »
I think the official term for defrocked is "deposition from holy orders" and is covered by Canon Law, might help with any future searches.

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 3
    • The Upchurch Collection
Defrocked?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:01:40 »
I have a Reverend who was defrocked in 1897, while in prison.  He had been a member of the Church of England.  I understand pension payments came directly from the Church of England until 1927.

On been defrocked from his position, would he have received some form of payment or pension?

I have tried various Church of England web sites, including Lambeth.  They don't seem to reply to this request.  Has anyone on here experience or knowledge of this?

Grateful for any help.

Thx

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Upchurch in old picture postcards.
Otterham Kent - Your Heritage.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines