News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Grenadier Guard Poisoned, 1806  (Read 356 times)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Grenadier Guard Poisoned, 1806
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 17:49:00 »
I found the following article and wondered if anyone had any more information about it? I presume it happened at Chatham as it was in a list of local news between two other Chatham entries. The fact that it is a Grenadier Guard makes me have a slight suspicion it might have happened in London, and the reference to the Golden Lion might be at the Brompton in London (not sure if there was a Golden Lion there too.)

Kentish Weekly Post or Canterbury Journal - Friday 26 September 1806

On Wednesday a grenadier belonging to the Guards, named Thomas Hartland. was taken suddenly ill, with a complaint in his stomach, and died in the course of a few hours, notwithstanding every remedy was tried which medical skill could apply. A strong suspicion was excited in the minds of the medical gentlemen of the Guards that the man had been poisoned; he was in consequence opened, and the appearance of the stomach justified their opinion. A coroner’s inquest was held on the body before J. Simmons, esq. at the Golden Lion, in Brompton, on Saturday, when the Jury, after mature deliberation, returned a verdict- "Died by poison administered by some person or persons unknown
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines