News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Grenadier Guard Poisoned, 1806  (Read 142 times)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Grenadier Guard Poisoned, 1806
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 17:49:00 »
I found the following article and wondered if anyone had any more information about it? I presume it happened at Chatham as it was in a list of local news between two other Chatham entries. The fact that it is a Grenadier Guard makes me have a slight suspicion it might have happened in London, and the reference to the Golden Lion might be at the Brompton in London (not sure if there was a Golden Lion there too.)

Kentish Weekly Post or Canterbury Journal - Friday 26 September 1806

On Wednesday a grenadier belonging to the Guards, named Thomas Hartland. was taken suddenly ill, with a complaint in his stomach, and died in the course of a few hours, notwithstanding every remedy was tried which medical skill could apply. A strong suspicion was excited in the minds of the medical gentlemen of the Guards that the man had been poisoned; he was in consequence opened, and the appearance of the stomach justified their opinion. A coroner’s inquest was held on the body before J. Simmons, esq. at the Golden Lion, in Brompton, on Saturday, when the Jury, after mature deliberation, returned a verdict- "Died by poison administered by some person or persons unknown
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines