News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ashline Coaches (Tonbridge): Leyland Cub  (Read 681 times)

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
Re: Ashline Coaches (Tonbridge): Leyland Cub
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 16:20:40 »
Another small point: I think that the rear view of the Bedford OB HKJ 531 (I am pretty sure that this would be an OB rather than the wartime OWB) must have been at the Underriver terminus of what became the 131 after the M&D takeover.  I am wondering about that photograph of the Tilling-Stevens - could this perhaps be in Waterloo Road facing the horse trough at the junction with Quarry Hill Road?  I am still completely baffled by the photo of the Dennis as it looks a vaguely familiar place - could Tonbridge Historical Society perhaps help?  And it would be interesting to know the location shown in the photo of the Dodge with another Bedford behind it.

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 17:41:39 »
Just another little note - I notice that some of the views feature masked headlamps so these must be wartime photographs.

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 17:29:46 »
Sorry I misread the registration on the Dennis so it is not ex-Southdown.  I cannot make out the location of that photo and I am not sure about the one of the Tilling-Stevens although I think that is somewhere in Tonbridge.  I am not quite sure about the rear view of the Bedford, HKJ 531, although I think it is at Sevenoaks Weald.  I am completely foxed by the view of the Dodge that also shows another Bedford.  The latter seems to be in something a little more like the Ashline livery I remember, although I seem to recall that this had had some green on the lower panels (I am here thinking of the pair of Bedford SB coaches from the 1950s).  If the Dodge was on that occasion being used as a coach, it is possible that it is shown parked somewhere other than in Tonbridge, in which case the Bedford could be from another operator.

One photo of the Dodge shows it at the Tonbridge Station stop (just south of the Priory Road junction) standing behind a London Transport front-entrance STL (see the Ian's Bus Stop site sub-section on the Country STLs) while one photo of the Cub shows it northbound in Tonbridge High Street opposite Woolworths..  The other photo of the Dodge, and the frontal photo of the Bedford, are definitely at the Weald Forge terminus.

Incidentally I have no idea about the vehicle in the Francis Frith photo.

As regards bodywork, I think Harrington on the Cub and the Tilling-Stevens, Beadle on the Dodge, Duple (or Duple Midland) on the Bedford HKJ 531 and possibly Burlingham on the other Bedford.  I have no idea about the Dennis or the mystery vehicle in the Frith photo.

The Dodge reminds me of a Commer Commando with similar bodywork (or were there two of them?) with Toby Coaches of Sevenoaks.  Finally, the Tilling-Stevens reminds me vaguely of a vehicle I saw in Hastings (emerging from the junction with Castle Hill) when I was about 6 in about 1954 - anybody any ideas on that one, please?

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 17:30:09 »
A very interesting slideshow showing that Ashline had a different livery from the livery it had when I remember it.  A Dodge, two Bedfords  (but not the more usual Duple-bodied OB coach that I remember), that Cub (definitely in the later cream livery when I remember it), a Tilling-Stevens and a Dennis F (?) : the latter two definitely ex-Southdown according to the registration numbers).  I'll have to ask next time I'm in Tonbridge library whether they hold anything more on this. 

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 22:36:42 »

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 21:55:29 »
Could the Cub have been DRB 793 and the Bedford (OWB) HKJ 531, or do I have the wrong Ashline? Cannot insert a link from this device, but I'm looking at The Omnibus Society site.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 20:10:40 »
If you checkout  Frith Photo's web site, photos of Tonbridge, picture 101 of 102 shows Tonbridge Angel, 1948, with possibly a rear view of your Cub.

https://www.francisfrith.com/tonbridge/tonbridge-view-from-the-bridge-1948_t101001

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 17:33:54 »
I cannot understand why there seems to be such a wall of silence on this.  Does anyone (for example) have a photograph of this vehicle?   If so, I wonder if they could please put it on this site.  Or does anyone have a note of the registration number of this vehicle?  That would probably help trace more information..

If anyone can please fill in this gap, many thanks.

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
Ashline Coaches (Tonbridge): Leyland Cub
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 17:43:42 »
In the early to mid 1950s, I recall, Ashline of Tonbridge had a Leyland Cub which used to do a school run for a special school and used to pick up and set down outside a house in Dartford Road in Sevenoaks.

I assume that Ashline had originally used this vehicle on some local bus services which it operated in and around Tonbridge until these services were taken over by M&D in that late 1940s.  No vehicles were involved in the takeover and the services became M&D 130, 131 and 132.

The Cub was then used for the school run until it was withdrawn in the mid 1950s after which the school run was operated using a Bedford OB for a few years until Davis of Sevenoaks took over the contract, also using a Bedford OB.  Then in the early 1960s the contract passed to Edenbridge Car Hire, initially using yet another Bedford OB until this was replaced with a Bedford C4SZ.

But does anybody out thee have any information on that Cub?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines