News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Mystery Object dug up at Sittingbourne.  (Read 2811 times)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: Mystery Object dug up at Sittingbourne.
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 10:30:52 »
I think what look like wheels are actually the base that would have been concreted into the ground. As S4 said it would have had a bearing at the top. That would probably have carried the paddle arms to mix pug with dirt, etc. for Brick making.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 09:22:44 »
Many years ago there was something similar at the north end of Cryalls Lane and also near Chilton Playing Field, Sittingbourne. Both were partially submerged in water and `alive` with newts. When I was about 9/10 we spent some time watching the newts darting about. We called these machines `Mixers` and assumed they were used in the brickmaking industry. If I remember correctly there a number of these `mixers` in the St. Michaels Road area and undoubtedly used in brickmaking..     

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 19:12:48 »
Could be the base of a crane, a hand worked one at that. However I do have a slight issue with the fact the pole is tapered, there is a bearing area at the top but I'd need to see more before being certain. I doubt if it is the base for a waggon turn-table as they tend to have a narrow base (just a big peg really) and are not load bearing as the wheels around the circumference take the weight. There is a crane listed on the map, could be the base of that.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 15:11:00 »
The 1897 map shows that there was a railway goods yard with wagon t.tables and a crane roughly on a line between the modern St. Michaels Road and the railway. Could our mystery item be a spigot for one of these t.tables or the crane?.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 14:50:12 »
Are they wheels? There are no spokes and the lower one seems to be the other half to the top one. I got the impression it might be the base of something.
Alastair

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 23:45:58 »
It could be part of a puddling or pugmill but the wheels look a bit thin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pugm
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 15:46:25 »
It looks like part of a clay puddling machine.  The size seems about right to me.   Or, I could be completely wrong.  Still, an interesting find.
DTT

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Mystery Object dug up at Sittingbourne.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 15:34:29 »
This large lump of Machinery was dug up along St Michaels Road by Regeneration Scheme Contractors.
The road was built over the old Brickfields to the North of the Railway back in the mid 1960's.
Can any of the you recognise what piece of Brickfield equipment it belonged to. I used to play on the site in the 1950.s and don't recollect seeing anything like it.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines