News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Midshipman William Napper 1805  (Read 385 times)

Offline Piglet 88

• Appreciation 0
Re: Midshipman William Napper 1805
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 06:46:39 »
(Aaaah...!!!!*@*...) How that is why I joined this forum.
I had a choice between 'Masters' and 'Captains'..and I went for 'Masters'.
I might try the copy they hold at Greenwich, which was written by a fellow Midshipman.

The surgeon on the Temeraire was called Thomas Caird, born about 1756, from Montrose. All I have found so far is his Surgical instruments went to the Royal United Service Institute in about 1904 and his servant on board was called Gregory Evans. I have yet to find any of his papers.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 234
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 14:06:39 »
Naval surgeons were also required to keep logs, although whether they are kept by the National Archive or the National Maritime Museum I don't know. That might shed a bit more light on it.

The Sailing Master was primarily concerned with the sailing and navigation of the ship, so it's perhaps not suprising that Midshipman Napper's death went with barely a mention in the Master's log for the day.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Piglet 88

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 22:00:21 »
I went down to Kew / National Archives to see the Masters Log for the Temeraire.

Remarks on Thursday 28th Nov. 1805
Fresh breeze with rain 95 fm water
Departed this life Mr Wm Napper Mid
Made and shortened sail occasionally

Not a lot to go on.

Offline Piglet 88

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 22:57:53 »
Many thanks again to you, Bilgerat. I was curious about his death because he does not show up in either the Badly Wounded List or the Slightly Wounded List. There are always accidents or illness. I might go and look at the Log Books again. I looked a few years ago, but for some reason, I did not look at anything past October. If I find anything, I'll report back.
At present I have just discovered the Navy Pension records and Allotments on Find My Past. They have just started putting a few Muster Books on there as well.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 234
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 21:17:01 »
Your man was aged 22 at the Battle of Trafalgar. There was no such ship as HMS Imperience, but there was an HMS Imperieuse, a 44-gun ex-Dutch 24pdr-armed Heavy Frigate. Previously called Amphitrite, she was launched at Amsterdam in 1797 and was taken by the British during the Vlieter Incident on 30th August 1799.

HMS Imperieuse was paid off at Plymouth in March of 1804 and many of her crew were transferred to HMS Temeraire. The ship was broken up at Plymouth during April of 1805.

Sadly, as far as your Midshipman is concerned, there are not many sources. The only one I have to hand is 'The Fighting Temeraire' by Sam Willis and he is only mentioned in that book by his entry on the ships Muster Book for the period of the Battle of Trafalgar. The Muster Book would only show him as 'DD' or Discharged - Dead if he indeed died from wounds sustained during the battle.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Piglet 88

• Appreciation 0
Midshipman William Napper 1805
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 20:57:24 »
Does anyone have any information on Midshipman William Napper, who was on board the Temeraire at the Battle of Trafalgar? According to my notes he was born in Rochester around 1782. Along with two other Midshipmen, Lewis Davis and Robert H Storck, he joined the Temeraire on the 3rd March 1804. They had all come from the Imperience and all survived the Battle of Trafalgar.
I have noticed that he died 'At sea' on the 28th November 1805, while on his way home after the battle.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines