News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Not just the workhouse (12 October 2017)  (Read 233 times)

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
Re: Not just the workhouse (12 October 2017)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 21:23:10 »
Not just the Workhouse  -  a talk by Deborah Collins at Chatham Historical Society

A talk on Kent Poor Law Union records and the stories they reveal about the poor of Kent. It will cover a range of records not normally consulted and will show that not every one had to resort to the Workhouse.

Chatham Historical Society
Thursday 12th October 2017 at 7:15pm
Lampard Centre, Sally Port, Brompton, ME7 5BU

Visitors welcome.

http://chathamhistoricalsoc.btck.co.uk/

I used many of the Chilham Parish Chest records during my studies for a Kent History degree. Fascinating stuff on what was run as what is known as a 'closed parish'.....ie they looked after their own and kept strangers out as far as possible. As opposed to Great Chart for example which was an 'open parish' and had tremendous difficulties looking after their poor. 

I have a strong connection to that village/fossilised medieval town my family being recorded as householders in the very earliest parish records there. 

Offline Clankypup

• Appreciation 4
Not just the workhouse (12 October 2017)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 19:50:19 »
Not just the Workhouse  -  a talk by Deborah Collins at Chatham Historical Society

A talk on Kent Poor Law Union records and the stories they reveal about the poor of Kent. It will cover a range of records not normally consulted and will show that not every one had to resort to the Workhouse.

Chatham Historical Society
Thursday 12th October 2017 at 7:15pm
Lampard Centre, Sally Port, Brompton, ME7 5BU

Visitors welcome.

http://chathamhistoricalsoc.btck.co.uk/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines