News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ungrateful adolescence, an eternal regret!  (Read 3924 times)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
Re: Ungrateful adolescence, an eternal regret!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 21:04:16 »
Nice read 101sean. I remember Bernard Pope.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 13:15:03 »
It was lovely to hear about your neighbour and as the others said we all have grown and as a youngster myself I could write a book of myself as a child thinking mainly of my own enjoyment and not listening to those grown up's around me, I had a grandfather who worked in the dockyard he had a massive amount of local info I could have taken the time to listen to and be able to recount here but alas I was so busy doing my own thing that he passed before I realised and his knowledge went with him.
***I am still the child within***

Offline 101sean

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 21:14:22 »
It was written slightly inspired by red wine but glad to get it off my chest. It's the only thing I really regret that I'm going to publicly admit to anyway!

I'll have to drum up some memories of growing up in the area in the 60s before they fade away.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 18:42:53 »
Thanks 101sean, for your interesting post.  I don't think you are alone in feeling like that.

As John38 has said....you were young, and it is not until you experience life, that you see things more clearly.  I am sure that he would not have wanted you to feel sorry for the regret you feel now.  Remember....he was young once and possibly felt the same way at some point.   
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

John38

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 18:23:25 »
A touching story 101sean. As my old  mum used to say, "You can't put an old head on young shoulders."

Offline 101sean

• Appreciation 12
Ungrateful adolescence, an eternal regret!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 22:01:41 »
Not really a life storey, more about a neighbour who has long since gone, but I think it belongs here as part of the story has affected my life in a big way. I was prompted to write it after posting about him in the barber shop thread and now feel the need to make a confession!

I lived in Athelstan Road, Chatham from the age of five, moving there in 1963 having moved from Wingham, my father's company rented the house for him. Our neighbours to the right were Charlie and (I think) Elsie Bliss and had lived there since the house was built around 1920, they were retired and she was a right busybody!

Moving on several years to my teenage years in the early 70s, Charlie's wife had died and he lived on his own mostly in the almost hermetically sealed back room, he hated draughts and it was like a furnace in there. He had a bell rigged through to our house in case of emergencies and would often ask for me to run errands and go round and see him.

Trouble is at the age of 13-14 I just thought he was a damn nuisance but used go round anyway. His daughter had passed away some years previous and the grandson rarely called so he really needed the company I didn't want to give.

That is what I will eternally regret because he had so much he could have told having served in Gallipoli with the Buffs. He did show me a Christmas menu he'd written for the officers mess, he had the most immaculate copperplate hand writing and he still had all his diaries. I think he still had pretty much every shopping list and bill he'd ever made!

After the war he worked for the Borough of Chatham rising quite high in the Town Clerks office. He also did private work and still had the drawings for some of the houses in Bourneville and Letchworth Avenues. He gave me some of his notebooks and I still have his drawing instruments somewhere. I recently gave my arty sister the 1920 shopkeepers signwriting stencil set he also gave me.

What I owe is that we had a stable home as he arranged for my Father to get a mortgage to buy the house, Charlie Bliss was related to the owners of Chatham Reliance, and he also got me my first job.
He got me an interview with Bernard Pope, the chief engineer with Medway Council and I started shortly after in May 1981 I think.

He died not long after leaving his stories untold and now having an interest in military history among other things I really regret not listening then, bloody ungrateful teenager!!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines