News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rochester Common  (Read 650 times)

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
Re: Rochester Common
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 03:40:33 »
I worked for Watts charities when the yard closed. I was the handyman, lovely job, very interesting did a lot of work in Hayward House. In the loft part of the old workhouse, decoration could still be seen.
Watts were a dream employer, no pressure, virtually my own boss, unfortunately the wage was fairly basic so I had to move on.

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 16:52:54 »
http://www.richardwatts.org.uk/hayward-house

Transferred to Watts Charity in 1960.

Many many years ago I use to work with an old lady who actually lived in one of those flats. :)

I actually went there once to see her (but I can't remember what it was about though). Went through the entrance and visited her on the top floor.
That's the only time I ever went there and I lost contact with her years ago.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 16:02:13 »
http://www.richardwatts.org.uk/hayward-house

Transferred to Watts Charity in 1960.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 12:32:55 »
Great photo'. On the heads of the passengers I can see the usual Top, Bowler, Boater & Cap but what is the chap at the back, to the left of the telegraph pole, wearing? Looks Mandarin but he has a collar & tie- or has he put his cap on back to front?

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 09:56:50 »
Although it was built in 1823 I don`t know when Watts purchased it for the elderly.
Hope x

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 17:22:26 »
From the 1896 OS. Hayward House is marked here as "House of Industry".

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 08:32:31 »
This is the full picture, looking across the site of the cattle market. The houses visible in the background include those of Davis's Square, long since demolished.

I remember going in the cattle market sheds when I was young they were then used for market stalls which surrounded the shed, it must have been near Hayward house in Corporation street built in 1823 which Watts charity has for the elderly .
Hope x

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 07:24:11 »
Interestingly there is an embankment carrying the double track Chatham lines between the photographer and the station, yet the station is quite prominent so must have been much higher (it was mounted on a wooden trestle bridge I think), than the Chatham lines?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 18:27:20 »
This is the full picture, looking across the site of the cattle market. The houses visible in the background include those of Davis's Square, long since demolished.

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 16:31:45 »
This is a crop from a photograph taken probably in the early 1900's. The view is looking north from the Common (or possibly Corporation Street, if this was taken a bit later) and shows what I believe to be a part of Rochester Common Station. This is the only image I have found that shows something of the outward appearance of this railway station, which enjoyed a brief existence for about twenty years, closing in 1911.

Smithy, have you the full picture or just the crop ,I remember those railings being along Corporation street where the market was .
Hope x

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 22:02:16 »
It's hard to believe that there are no pictorial records of these stations. You would think there would have been a lot of local interest on the opening days at least and that the press and anyone else with an interest in railways would have taken some photographs.

This applies particularly to Chatham station which must have been a massive undertaking, yet I know of no photographs that date to before the 1880's which would show the station in it's original form. That's not to say that they don't exist, only that, as you say -  they may never have been published.

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 17:05:29 »
I am sure I have seen a picture in a book showing Rochester Common under demolition, as seen from a train on the 'Chatham' lines. Can`t remember which one it was though, 'Kent's Lost Railways'  rings a bell. I got the book from the public lending library many years ago.
Similarly with Chatham Central station, the only photo I have seen has a steam rail motor in it but does not really show the station itself.
Obviously there are no surviving pictures unless they are still to be discovered?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 01:56:28 »
Posting this made me realise just how many stations the Medway towns have had over the years - no fewer than nine in total. (Ten if you include Rainham).

With just 31/2 miles of track between the first and the last, they are, in order from west to east:

Strood Terminus, Strood Junction (Strood), Rochester Bridge, Rochester Common, Rochester (new), Rochester (old), Chatham Central, Chatham and New Brompton (Gillingham).

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Rochester Common
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 19:09:36 »
This is a crop from a photograph taken probably in the early 1900's. The view is looking north from the Common (or possibly Corporation Street, if this was taken a bit later) and shows what I believe to be a part of Rochester Common Station. This is the only image I have found that shows something of the outward appearance of this railway station, which enjoyed a brief existence for about twenty years, closing in 1911.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines