News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Re: Severe Weather in 1963  (Read 317 times)

KeithJG

Re: Re: Severe Weather in 1963
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2014, 18:01:18 »
  The White Christmas was a day late and from memory most of the snow fell on Boxing Day.

Yes, B0bH you`re right. I reckon I saw the first snowflakes of that winter at Frindsbury!

I was on my paper round at the bottom of Cooling Road at 7.30 am and had just delivered the papers to a customer, turned around to walk down the path and I saw some white floating down, just here and there. I believe after that it snowed hard for 3 days continuous. The dirty snow was around for ages and I can still remember it by the 5th April mounded up by the road side, quite dangerous as it was by then just solid dirty ice.

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 25
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2014, 15:43:16 »

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2014, 18:27:06 »
TonyYoung - it's all part of our history, whether it is extreme snow, floods etc. so I am sure it would be interesting to see.
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Minsterboy

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2014, 14:01:15 »
Conan,

The first photo looks like Mill Hill, just after the British Queen pub going towards Minster. Not sure about the second one.

Offline BobH

• Appreciation 3
    • Erith Weather
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2014, 12:28:03 »
In the late autumn of 1962 I had to have some remedial surgery to my hip and had metal plates and screws added.  I had only been working for about 12 months and my pay was stopped so I was looking forward to getting back to work after the Christmas holiday break.  The White Christmas was a day late and from memory most of the snow fell on Boxing Day.  It then froze solid lasting until the March and because the pavements were not cleared my walk to the bus stop of about 1/3 mile on crutches was not practical initially. Once most of the paths were cleared by home owners (something you don't see so much these days due to the fear of being sued) I was able to attempt the journey.  I started talking to a young lady at the bus stop and we became friends and once I was without crutches and walking sticks I asked her out.  Whether we would have started talking without my walking aids I don't know as I might have taken a different route and not seen her.  Anyway, I am glad about the severe winter of 1963 as that lady became my wife of 48 happy years.
Never be afraid to try something new remember Amateurs built the Ark,professionals built the Titanic

John38

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2014, 09:35:13 »
We were doing a Ground School at Thorney Island. We had two lads from the Malaysian Air Force with us. It was so cold that it made them feel really ill!

Offline TonyYoung

• Appreciation 11
  • Borden Lab, WARC 1971-1976
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2014, 08:08:15 »
I was 12 (and a bit) and remember Mum and Dad took us to the pantomime at the Marlowe on Boxing Day. When we came out it was snowing - the next day every thing was under snow!
I remember Dad and I wrapped up and went for a walk around the High Street (Sittingbourne) with our black Labrador cross ("Blackie" of course!). Along the High Street (going east) was okay and up Central Avenue to the car park not too bad, when we reached the playing fields (Central Avenue stopped halfway to Avenue of Remembrance then - it was the Girl's School playing fields). Dad picked 'Blackie' up and lifted him over the fence (as we always did on our way to Albany Road 'rec) - and the dog disappeared!. We climbed the fence and dug him out - the snow along the fence line had drifted, was very light and about 2' 6" deep - over the top of my wellies for sure! Poor old "Blackie' was covered in ice so we took him home to 117 High Street to warm up and get dry.

Another 'mark' in our family happened in that winter.
Dad worked for SeeBoard (the electric company) and was a senior overhead line engineer. He, and the other engineers, had many call outs in the period. One in particular involved a linesman who had climbed a pole to fix a fault, and the pole was so frozen it snapped partially off. There was this chap with some live lines around him, stuck on top of a broken pole. My Dad ended up supervising the rescue and climbed the pole himself to get the linesman down. SeeBoard then realised they had no protocol for such an event and my Dad ended up teaching other linesmen and engineers how to do it! He also received an official commendation which I did not know about until going through his papers last year. I have asked mum if she can get it scanned and I will post it if anyone thinks it is significant..
Life's different upside down

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 20:59:12 »
Great photos.

To think we had three continuous months of weather like this.  The first year I started work using my cycle to get there.  Never missed a day.  We were tough in them days  :)

Mind you - as I worked in a lovely hot foundry, it was warmer than the council home I lived in with us all huddled around the one open fire in the house.

JW

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2014, 20:32:41 »
A couple of shots from dads set, taken somewhere on the Island I assume whilst he was out working, as one of the shots has the ladder rack from his GPO van in it. Where on the Island I have no idea, any guesses? Note the collapsed telephone pole in the second picture

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 20:58:10 »
Some interesting footage on this news clip.

I was working on scaffolding a rooftop on the seafront in Herne Bay.  We were installing a 'Copex' lining down a chimney for a central heating boiler.  It was a bit chilly to say the least - I was 16 at the time and remember it well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20817551

Geoff B

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 12:08:04 »
I remember the cream on the top of the milk bottles pushed up out the top of the bottles with the top on like a mushroom. I remember a ship stuck at Scots's timber wharf for ages due to the ice. I enjoyed sledging on the Coney, Daisy and Darland Banks.

Offline RogerGunkel

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 09:55:32 »
i was only about 8 in 1963 and i lived in southfleet , i remember the newbarn road and a bus and several cars where buried in the deep banked part there for weeks

I'd just passed my test at the start of the,'63 freeze, in my bubble car. I can clearly remember driving from Gravesend to Hartley to visit my girlfriend just after they had run a snow plough through the drifts on the blocked Newbarn road. A few cars had gone through leaving a ridge in the middle of the cleared road, but the Heinkel 3 wheeler had a centre rear wheel which hopped from one side to the other of the ridge making it very difficult to keep straight. At the top of the Newbarn hill, as I slowly started to descend, the back wheel hopped again, spinning the car, and I descended the entire hill pirouhetting like a balet dancer, bouncing off the soft snow banks either side until I reached the bottom. Luckily nothing was trying to come up as it was probably too slippery, but from then on I learnt a lot about skid control in that winter.

Roger

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 16:42:10 »
Again comparing 1963 with 1947, the transport system was in much better shape. As an idea of how the war had left our railways, in summer of 1945 my wife made her first long distance journey to visit relatives in Dunfermline. She was seen on the train in London by her dad - we don't know what the scheduled time was, but it actually took 10 hours to reach Edinburgh.

Even as late as January 1951 I came home for my first leave from the RAF. The train was 2 hours late leaving Warrington and took 4 or 5 hours to reach London, and that was accepted as par for the course!

In 1945-1950 era a train journey consisted of short 'hops' from one speed restriction to another, due to lack of track maintenance. So regardless of whether 1947 or 1963 was the worse for weather, the transport system was better able to cope in 1963.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Natator

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2011, 15:23:06 »

I agree that conditions were awful in 1947.  I lived in Upper Norwood in South London on a very steep hill.  The railings local people used to haul themselves up to the top where there were shops had been removed for the war effort.  Children had thoughtlessly created ice slides on the steep pavements and roads and conditions were lethal.  I was a child myself, but I felt sorry for older people trying to cope with this.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 16:59:45 »
 As I remember it 1947 was colder but didn't last too long.  In 1963 I thought I'd never see summer again, the snow hung around for three months.
From 'Kent - A Chronicle of the Century' re 1963: "22nd February - For 7 weeks the county has been battling against the worst conditions since 1947".
In other words, conditions in 1947 were worse, but so far as length is concerned it seems 1947 was about 7-8 weeks from first snow until thaw set in, which was quite rapid because it began with an 'ice storm'. So, depending on how long after 22nd February the thaw was and how long it took, it seems 1963 might have been longer. But not 'fair' to count odd pockets of snow that hang around after every snowfall.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines