News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Re: Severe Weather in 1963  (Read 311 times)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
Re: Re: Severe Weather in 1963
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 11:45:31 »
Silly me ! The pics I have are from 1987 NOT 63 , apologies
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 09:49:44 »
That was my first winter at work after leaving school. 

I couldn't wait to get to work each day - I worked at the LCP Foundry in Broad Oak Road, Canterbury (Now where the Harley Davidson dealer is).  Warmest place for miles!!!

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 23:07:29 »
OK, will do. :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 23:03:02 »
Thank you very much!  Let me know if you have any problems :)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 22:57:48 »
There are a few in that Snow supplement I have Kyn, if I can resize them, I'll add them , some are whole page pics. Will dig it out and see what I can do. I'm sure they haven't already been posted.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 22:43:05 »
Does anyone have a more pictures of the snow and ice, particularly of the river?  I can't find any more anywhere apart from Trevs Sheppey site...

Minsterboy

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 14:01:42 »
I remember the views in Conan's pictures well. I was a 16yr old lad employed my Percy Mount on one of his Sheerness milk rounds and the unrelenting freezing conditions went on for around three months. It was not fun at 05.30 each morning starting the round with the empty milk bottles frozen to the pavements each morning.
Just look at those photos as well, and remember that we never went home to central heating or double glazing in those days, bedrooms were almost as cold as outside.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 13:40:57 »
I remember living at the top of Barton Hill and watching the first storm blowing down from the direction of the Minster abbey and getting really excited[well I was only ten at the time].At one point my dad took me out to Harty in his G.P.O. van and the bulldozer that had cleared the road was travelling along the top of the snow bank way above our heads on it's way back to the main road.I also remember walking out on the frozen sea at Scrapsgate a thankfully and hopefully once in a lifetime experience.Once again I am indebted to my dad for the following pictures

1  Big wheel and the roller coaster visible in the background

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

keith-17

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 21:52:02 »
i was only about 8 in 1963 and i lived in southfleet , i remember the newbarn road and a bus and several cars where buried in the deep banked part there for weeks

lingage

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 19:12:30 »
Hello i can remember in 1963 working in Radio vision in Strood ,there were stone floors no heating  and we kept our coats on to serve customers, but i still enjoyed working there , chilblains or no chilblains.It was so  cold in there, I can also rember with all that cold, only being a skinny thing of 6 stone, i felt the cold and had awful flu that year. Linda

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 09:04:16 »
I was courting as we said in those days and had to trudge home through that snow of '63.
The Rochester Maidstone Rd up past the airport was impassable for weeks and I remember taking the bus when we could get through at last, and the drifts were higher than the bus top deck.
Incredible stuff and AGW is going to make it happen even more :)
AlanH.

patmore

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 13:28:22 »
I well remember the winter of 62-63. The small car park at my school had been filled by a snowdrift to a depth of 6-7 ft and we boys were asked to bring in a shovel and clear it. P.E. lessons temporarily became snow clearance, the snowballs flew the snowdrift was moved and a good time was had by one and all. What would the 'elfnsafety police' and for that matter a lot of parents have to say about such a venture today?

James

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 21:40:37 »
What was unusual in the 1962/3 Winter was that the snow started on the 26th December and there was still snow in March. The council sent out the dustcart crews to spread sharp sand on the icy paths too.
mmitch.

colin F

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 19:25:20 »
Hi  
  just to add to this  i  can  remember  the  snow in  1963,  I   was  working
 for  the co-op bakery  in gillingham  as  a driver,s  mate  my driver  was  
 Ben  Tyler  we got  stuck   in the  snow  in  wigmore  kent,  a  customer
asked  us in  for a cupper  when   we   left    she gave  us   some rag,s  to
tie  on the wheel,s  to help  us   which   was :-- jumper,s skirt,s &  underwear
but it did  the  job this  was  christmas  eve  we done  last  delivery  at  
midnight  at  the  oasthouse  bottom  darland   avenue.

colin F.

Merv

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 22:16:58 »
63 was a bad winter, I can remember walking across the river to Strood from Borstal"Safety Bay"
Winters back then stayed frozen for weeks.
If Snow was cleared and piled in Gutters it remained there for weeks and you could walk over it daily on the way home from School.
These days it is over in a few days.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines