News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Ramsgate Tunnels - Air Raid Shelters  (Read 1546 times)

Ramsgate History

Re: Ramsgate Tunnels - Air Raid Shelters
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 20:23:15 »
There may be some confusion with the photos.
This is the chimney which we believe to be North of the narrow guage spur tunnel

This is where the narrow gauge spur splits off the main tunnel.

Many thanks to Barry Stewart who has allowed us to use his photos to promote the tunnel project

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 18:42:23 »
Awesome pic. You can see where the tunnel was divided with the narrow gauge on the left in a tunnel of its own in the main tunnel. Fantastic. I had read about this division but until now had never seen it. Thanks wevsky this pic fills a gap in my knowledge. I can confirm that this is from the time of the narrow gauge line and is nothing to do with the old main line so they probably used the air shaft that was already there Just what they wanted a chimney/fire down there for I have no idea as the trains were overhead electrically opperated. One for Arthur C. Clarke I fear unless one of the KHF mines of information can help...... Sentinel S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline wevsky

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 18:26:08 »
just about fifty foot past this junction where the hereson road spur is .smack bang in the middle
Wevsky

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 18:23:36 »
Does this structure start on the roadbed of the railway then? If so then it must be post 1926 when the tunnel was closed by the railway and built up through the existing air shaft. Sentinel S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

AnDy

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 18:17:47 »
Hi. The chimney you mention is indeed a dual function bit of construction. It was initially in place when the tunnel was dug so as they had two more faces to work from and thereby speed up construction. Next came its use as a railway tunnel. This was a tunnel on a steep grade with trains going through from a standing start. It would have 'clagged' up very quickly so the air shaft would have helped disperse the 'clag'. So yes I suppose it was a glorified chimney for the railway tunnel. Most tunnels, even canals I heard that the break in the Higham tunnel is where one of these collapsed and was opened up, have these air shafts (that is the polite Victorian name for them) as they were the initial holes that built the bores in the first instance. It just happened that they could be utilised for another use or the Victorians would have filled the back in. You can see several on the A20 going over Shakespear Cliff, probably the easiest to find in the UK. Sentinel S4.

If the chinmey was there when the tunnel was in use, how did the train pass it, as it's in the middle of the tunnel where the track would of been?

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 17:34:22 »
Hi. The chimney you mention is indeed a dual function bit of construction. It was initially in place when the tunnel was dug so as they had two more faces to work from and thereby speed up construction. Next came its use as a railway tunnel. This was a tunnel on a steep grade with trains going through from a standing start. It would have 'clagged' up very quickly so the air shaft would have helped disperse the 'clag'. So yes I suppose it was a glorified chimney for the railway tunnel. Most tunnels, even canals I heard that the break in the Higham tunnel is where one of these collapsed and was opened up, have these air shafts (that is the polite Victorian name for them) as they were the initial holes that built the bores in the first instance. It just happened that they could be utilised for another use or the Victorians would have filled the back in. You can see several on the A20 going over Shakespear Cliff, probably the easiest to find in the UK. Sentinel S4.

Ramsgate History

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 09:13:12 »
Below is the 1907 map showing an air shaft where Wallwood Road now is. I guess this brick chimney woul be supported to the floor rather than on the brick arched roof.

Offline wevsky

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 08:30:59 »
Ah, the chimney inside the tunnel is further along past the synagogue entrance which is on the footpath on the corner of Dumpton Park Drive and another road, but I`m not sure, from memory, as it`s been a while since I`ve been down. I would say it`s closer to the north ports than the synagogue..
What you are referring to, manhole wise, could well be one of the airshafts along that spur.
Wevsky

Ramsgate History

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 08:24:11 »
Can't be certain until we get access to survey the tunnel but I believe it's a chimney that exits under a footpath between the old Synagogue site and Wallwood Road. This was open land when the tunnel was built c.1863. It's still there under a manhole cover.

Offline wevsky

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 08:18:18 »
ah andy b i think he is refering to inside the main tunnel nearer the north portal there is indeed a brick "chimney" if you like inside which i think may have been a later addition after the line closed..i could be wrong
Wevsky

AnDy

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 00:02:02 »
Can any one explain why there is a chinmey shack in the middle of the main dis-used railway tunnel? It's puzzled me for some time!!

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 17:10:38 »
In 1863 Chalk had a wide range of uses,Burn it you get lime, used in lots of building process,s. Also used for field dressing, quite possible it was shipped out from Ramsgate Harbour on the many Barges that worked up and down the east coast. Also used in brick making and ditto for cement.

Ramsgate History

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 20:59:50 »
According to my estimate, 21,000 tonnes of chalk (14,500 m3) was excavated when th Ramsgate A.R.P. Tunnels were built. Do you know where it went?

The same applies to the railway tunnel which was built in 1863. An estimated 154,000 tonnes (106,500 m3) was removed from this cavern. Any ideas about what happened to it?

Ramsgate History

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 19:37:57 »
I do not think Thanet council have any spare money

The project to re-open the tunnels is nothing to do with Thanet District Council who, as you say AnDy, are unlikely to have any money. Funding is being sought by a non-profit group (Chaired by the Mayor of Ramsgate, Cllr. David Green) to carry out an initial feasibility study. These things take time, so don't get too excited just yet!! The original press release can be found at: http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/news/War-tunnels-reopen-public/article-3122601-detail/article.html

If you do know where the photo shown in the paper was taken, I would recommend staying away as the owner of the property is developing it and is not receptive to people trying to gain access.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines