News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Ramsgate Tunnels - Air Raid Shelters  (Read 1552 times)

Offline wevsky

• Appreciation 0
Re: Ramsgate Tunnels - Air Raid Shelters
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 18:04:06 »
Think the newspaper report said something about lottery funding to the tune of 60,000..which in my opinion wont pay for much
Wevsky

AnDy

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 18:02:24 »
All this talk about the tunnels being opened up as a tourist attraction sounds a bit fishy to me, I do not think Thanet council have any spare money to pump into any such project.

Offline wevsky

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 17:08:37 »
Yes mate a lot of us have wondered just that ,and several people emailed the paper with concerns as to why the picture was included,one of the people who wrote a letter was asked if his letter could be published but for his own reasons decided against this!
Wevsky

AnDy

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 17:06:16 »
For those of you not local ,it seems the council have already taken measures to secure the site blocking the only "open" entrance ,I'm not sure if this is a first step towards the proposals to re open part of it or merely to make it safe as some people have had to be "rescued"

I wonder if that coincides with the photo of said entrance in the local newspaper couple of weeks back :-(

Offline wevsky

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 16:59:48 »
For those of you not local ,it seems the council have already taken measures to secure the site blocking the only "open" entrance ,I'm not sure if this is a first step towards the proposals to re open part of it or merely to make it safe as some people have had to be "rescued"
Wevsky

philspain

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 19:53:55 »
I had a set of “official” plans that I loaned out and have lost track of. If you’re local to Ramsgate I could help you with scanning and posting them, and they would be very useful to me at the moment.

Offline Beachbum

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 17:53:49 »
I have a copy of the original plans for the Tunnels showing the Public entrances. The Borough Engineer visited the only other Tunnel system of its time in Barcelona, then designed the Ramsgate system to be self ventilating and could be sealed off in minutes if a gas attack occurred. There were air pump stations, one of which was between Cannon Road and Eagle Hill. The plans I have were drawn by R.D.Brimmell the Borough Engineer, dated March 1939 (drawing No.1).  There are 10 Air Shafts and 14 Public Entrances marked.

AnDy

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 22:29:06 »
At the 'Thanet At War' event on goverment acre last summer, there was a display regarding the air-raid network and I did see a couple of pics which I had not seen before, one being the junction of Addington street and Westcliff rd, which shows a sign directing people to the Harbour.

AnDy

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 21:37:24 »
Has anyone got a photo of Spencer Square entrance in the war?

Very good question, I have never seen a picture of the Spencer Sqaure Entrance or Liverpool Lawn for that matter, tbh, there are only a few pictures out there covering the whole network in general.

paulk

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 19:59:48 »
Has anyone got a photo of Spencer Square entrance in the war?

philspain

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 08:52:05 »
Thanet District Council / Ramsgate Town Partnership commisioned a survey of the tunnel system with a view to making it into some kind of tourist attraction. I guess this would have been in the mid 90's. The report (as I remember) concluded that it wasn't a viable proposition. I also remember being told it cost around £30,000 to produce! It must still be sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 22:34:38 »
If you stand outside queens house which is the social security office, in Queens street, there is a raised walkway that takes you into the front entrance of the building. The tunnel entrance was on the right hand side of this walkway in the car park. The car park was completly re-built a few years ago. The car park was just tarmac which had been laid over the cover slab that had been put over the entrance in the 1950s, it was probably only by luck that none of the lorrys that used the car park had never gone through this rather thin slab. There is now no sign of the opening from above.

paulk

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 20:15:31 »
Ok, I'm confused too. The brewery was on the site that Waitrose is on now so where is the shelter in relation to the car park now? (apart from being buried) :)

paulk

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 18:38:14 »
I think Arklow Square was accessed from the road, you can see the difference in the brickwork on the wall where it is bricked up

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 19:07:55 »
Tunnel entrance no.4 not to be confused with air shafts, is the entrance in the car park to the front of the social security building, during the war the building to the rear of the tunnel entrance was the Thompson and Wotton Brewery, [ which just goes to prove we have made no progress at all]

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines