News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Grants cherry brandy  (Read 543 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Re: Grants cherry brandy
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 22:11:40 »
Entering this into your address bar will download a pdf detailing the history:

kentorchards.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Grants-Cherry-Brandy.pdf

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 21:24:12 »
Bit of info about Grants. :)

Grants Morella Cherry Brandy was first produced in Dover until disaster struck and the cliff face overhanging the distillery collapsed and enveloped the whole site. Despite thls catastrophe, Grants found new sites in Maidstone and Lenham; both sites were developed next to the new railway which was being built in the I880s, thus enabling direct transport from the distilleries by rail.
     Within the villages of Lenham and Lenham Heath, Morello cherries grew in orchards and hedgerows, the source of the cherries used for the production of the cherry brandy. In 1892, over 20,000 trees furnished Grants with most of the fruit needed to produce their cherry brandy
      George Bunyard a Horticulturalist and fruit breeder from Maidstone wrote in 1911. "Apart from its
qualities as a beveraqe, it is also a fine medicine in cases of diarrhoea and dysentery". It is not made from the Morellos such as grow on walls but from a local Morello Cherry.
     The manufacture of the cherry brandy continued until the 1960s when E Leslie Grant the great-great-grandson of the founder died and the company was taken over.
     Grants Morello Cherry Brandy is still available today through Shepherd Neame of Faversham.

Source:-
Cherry Ripe (Life is just a bowl of cherries)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 20:14:57 »
Thank you Bilgerat  :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 20:13:52 »
Good stuff Conan, we need stuff like this on the Forum.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Grants cherry brandy
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 19:51:27 »
Whist looking for detail on the Lenham lockup I looked for evidence on the 25 inch map,nothing was shown but attention was drawn to the Morella Cherry Works

And what a magnificent building it was,history however is sparse,if anyone can find out more I would be intrigued  to know.

The site is now covered by the Ham lane industrial estate
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines