News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Identify the regiment please.  (Read 420 times)

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 49
Re: Identify the regiment please.
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 23:48:10 »
I suspect your Mr. Jacks is Albert Thomas John Jacks b Q3 1884 Medway [mmn How(e)].  He died Q4 1925 Sheppey and is buried in Halfway Cemetery.  On CDP's index of burials in Halfway cemetery his address is given as Brambledown (presumably Brambledown farm).  This is also given as the address for the later burial of Louisa Kite d.1930.

Albert Thomas John Jacks appears in the West Riding Regiment War & Victory medal roll as Pte 33690 1/6th regiment with previous unit service as Pte 24653 8th Royal Sussex regiment.  In the photograph, the cap badge looks very much like the Sussex regiment.

He was baptised Luton Kent 19 Jul 1885 Parents named as Albert John and Alvina (transcribed as Elvina) Rebecca Jacks.  In the 1901/1911 his occupation is given as Painter/Decorator resident in Chatham.

I can't see an obvious family link.  If you wanted to investigate further, I would invest in his death certificate and depending on the cause of death/informant maybe take a look through the local papers from around the time of his death. 

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 20:19:47 »
Fraid not. Your Great Grandmother Louisa Parents were George and Elizabeth Goddard of Eastling . George Was a Gardener not a Vicar. :)

Offline TheCoconutDog

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 19:27:20 »
Fantastic. I have a huge dossier on the Kites. They were mainly from the Sittingbourne/ Sheppey/ Iwade and Upchurch area. My grandmother's mother Louisa Goddard was the daughter of a Vicar from (I think) Sittingbourne.

Thank you so much for this.

I don't suppose there is anyone called 'Jacks' - a male anywhere in all this?

I have a few more pics if anyone would like to see them.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 18:42:18 »
Yes Aunt Julia was a Kite.
From 1881 Census living at Ranleigh Road minster with parents.

First name(s)Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place

George   Kite   Head   Married   Male   44   1837   Gardener   Iwade, Kent, England   
Margaret   Kite   Wife   Married   Female   40   1841   Greengrocer   London, Middlesex, England   
Clara   Kite   Daughter   Single   Female   20   1861 Assist Greengrocers   Minster, Kent, England   
Sarah   Kite   Daughter   Single   Female   17   1864 Assist Greengrocers   Iwade, Kent, England   
Jane   Kite   Daughter   Single   Female   13   1868   Scholar   Iwade, Kent, England   
George   Kite   Son   Single   Male   10   1871   Scholar   Sheerness, Kent, England   
Julia   Kite   Daughter   Single   Female   8   1873   Scholar   Sheerness, Kent, England   
Alfred   Kite   Son   Single   Male   6   1875   Scholar   Sheerness, Kent, England   
William   Kite   Son   Single   Male   2   1879   -   Sheerness, Kent, England

George (in Blue)was your Grandmother Gladys Clara,'s Father .He Married Louisa Goddard in 1908.

Job Wills was the son of Albert Wills and Clara Kite (George and Julias older sister) married in 1898 at Hendon .Middlesex.

Offline TheCoconutDog

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 07:51:14 »
Thanks very much everyone. Fascinating stuff!

Re Job Wills - his mother was my Grandmother's Aunt Julia, I believe.
My grandmother was Gladys Clara Kite.
Can anyone confirm Aunt Julia's name please?

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 23:24:25 »
meant to post this the other day.

Taken from the 25 inch to the mile OS map  1892-1905

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 22:29:49 »
 Job Wills born 24 Nov 1906,   Married      Grace E Wood born 4 march 1912    at Sheppey 1934 .
 Shown as Jole Wills Painter and Grace Wills Domestic Duties Living at  "The Gable " Sheppey RD.
at the time of 1939 Register.

Job was a peace time soldier ,as he would only have been 11 when WW1 ended 11 November 1918

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 19:37:19 »
This seems to be the location,( at top of map in centre )called Trouts on the map,has a large pond along side. Eastchurch is  at the bottom ,Shurland hall just visible

Here's the nearest street view can get,the sign on the gate reads Trout Farm and it's the building of in the distance

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 19:31:16 »
Job Wills badge appears to be a fusilier regiment (flaming grenade) if it has any detail in the circular centre. Maybe Royal Fusiliers. Or If no detail in the centre it could be the Grenadier guards.

Any chance of a scan of the badge areas please.

Offline TheCoconutDog

• Appreciation 0
Identify the regiment please.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 19:18:22 »
Two photos from my grandmother's collection. The young man's name is Job Wills (titled 'Son of Aunt Julia'). The other photo is of Grandfather Kite and a Mr Jacks (in uniform) and the house is in the picture is either called Trout Farm or Lake Cottage and is near Eastchurch. Any info about the military uniforms, the subjects or the location would be of great interest.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines