News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Zeppelin Bomb Markers - Gravesend  (Read 96 times)

Offline Airship

• Appreciation 0
Re: Zeppelin Bomb Markers - Gravesend
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 19:22:35 »

Don't know who instigated placing the Cylinders to mark the impact spots.
 You are probably one of only a few  that know what they are for ,or care for that Matter .
The last time I saw them they were covered in graffiti.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was hoping someone might have some background on the decision to erect them. Does anyone know if the graffitti has been cleaned off?

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: Zeppelin Bomb Markers - Gravesend
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 18:47:04 »

Don't know who instigated placing the Cylinders to mark the impact spots.
 You are probably one of only a few  that know what they are for, or care for that matter.
The last time I saw them they were covered in graffiti.

This is what they commemorate.

Once over Gravesend, L.10 flew a figure of eight course, dropping five HE bombs and a few incendiaries. Three of the incendiaries landed on the north side of Windmill Hill. An HE bomb fell on Wrotham Road demolishing nos. 48 and 50 and burying five occupants in the rubble, while other bombs fell on Windmill Street, Wingfield Road, Peppercroft Street, Brandon Street, Cobham Street, Woodville Terrace and Bath Street. In addition, a serious fire broke out at the nursesí quarters at Gravesend Hospital and an explosion at the VAD Military Hospital, based at the yacht club, caused its relocation to Chatham. Total injuries in Gravesend amounted to two men, three women and a child.

Offline Airship

• Appreciation 0
Zeppelin Bomb Markers - Gravesend
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 15:48:14 »
Hi,
I am aware of the three granite markers on Windmill Hill, Gravesend, denoting where Zeppelin incendiary bombs landed during the raid on the town in June 1915. But does anyone know anything about the background to the decision to install them and when that was done?

Many thanks

Ian

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines