News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Re: My fisherman grandfather  (Read 140 times)

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
Re: My fisherman grandfather
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 08:33:31 »
When I was with RMAS I used to run a fuel barge (1504F) and refuelled RFA Bacchus and her sister ship Hebe quite a few times they used to run on FFO (furnace fuel oil) a thick black fuel that in winter would need to be heated up to allow a faster flow, the main Dockyard heating boilers also ran on this fuel.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
Re: My fisherman grandfather
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 11:47:26 »
My fisherman grandfather, had four sons, he gave the lads a share in a fishing trawler, out of Lossiemouth.
One of them was my father, they fished in waters around Iceland. Then later my father was called up, he
served in the Dover Patrol, was blown up four times, He survived that, after the war in 1918, he did not go
back to Scotland, he married my mother in 1917. He went on the `Bacchus ` an RFA.store ship to supply the naval bases overseas, for a number of years, in the engine room. Later he had a shore job for the rest of his life, as the handyman in the ` Navy House ` in Clover Street, also serving tea`s / cabin`s to sailors.
MoK

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines