News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatham Dockyard Basin Drownings 1950s/1960s  (Read 2124 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 240
Re: Chatham Dockyard Basin Drownings 1950s/1960s
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 20:16:44 »

Awards from this fund are administered by the RN so they should have a list of historic awards made.

It seems not.
From the link posted by Lyn L elsewhere on the forum.

Footnote
In 2009, I heard that in 2003, the various Herbert Lott Funds had been reorganised and the navy has no records of Herbert Lott Awards before that date. Moreover, in 2007 the Herbert Lott Naval Trust fund [4008491] was wound up and its property transferred into the Naval Services Prizes and Awards Fund, an unincorporated charity that is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity.

The National Archives has Herbert Lott Trust Fund Committee: awards, but only up to 1952.

Possibly the Chatham Dockyard Historical Society/Museum/library may be able to help.
http://www.dockmus.btck.co.uk

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 17:22:53 »
Hi WO1 RNR, A bit of info for you! Mr Herbert Lott was a member of the London Stock Exchange and was extremely interested in the Royal Navy and the part it played in the defence of the Commonwealth. In 1928 he opened negotiations with the Admiralty for the creation of a Trust Fund and made an initial donation of 20,000, which he increased shortly after by another 5,000. The Herbert Lott Naval Trust Fund was instituted in 1930 to make awards to "those who shall show marked efficiency or shall contribute in signal degree to the improvement of the appliances of the Naval and Marine Forces". When Mr Lott died in 1948 he left the whole of the residue of his estate (over 100,000) to the Trust Fund that bears his name.

8903. Awards from the Herbert Lott Naval Trust Fund
1. Through the generosity of a private donor a fund has been established which is known
as the Herbert Lott Naval Trust Fund. This fund enables the Department to make awards to
such officers and ratings of the naval and marine forces of Her Majesty, whether on the active
or reserve strength, as shall show marked efficiency or who shall contribute in signal degree
to the improvement of the appliances of the naval or marine forces of Her Majesty. The
inventions and technical suggestions element of this fund, the HLNITF, is administered by
CNSA and funds are allocated to Type Commanders (FOSF, FOSM, FONA and CGRM) to
enable local awards to be made. The same submission procedure as for exgratia awards
should be followed and applications forwarded through the appropriate chain of command for
consideration. Applications from personnel serving in other areas should be forwarded with
appropriate supporting documentation direct to: CNSA/AN210, MOD (DES) Abbey Wood #96.
An award under the HLNITF will not prejudice further awards being made from other MOD
award schemes.

Awards from this fund are administered by the RN so they should have a list of historic awards made.

Regards, Bromptonboy.

WO1RNR

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 15:12:25 »
Thank you Longpockets, I think that's exactly the incident. I need to find the Herbert Lott Award information now, but that's not easy, there doesn't appear to be a database showing past awards

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:59:52 »

WO1RNR

Chatham Dockyard Basin Drownings 1950s/1960s
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 20:27:55 »
I am looking for guidance on where I can get information on an incident where three people ended up in one of the basins one night, they might have been dockyard officials. My father was a diver In Pembroke at  the time and saved one of the unfortunate chaps. Sadly I think there may have been fatalities.
My father was subsequently awarded a Herbert Lott award for his assistance.
Any help on how I get any corroboration would be grateful received.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines