News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Peckett 0-6-0ST with links to Dover  (Read 291 times)

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
Re: Peckett 0-6-0ST with links to Dover
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 19:15:52 »
Coo, that was quick - thanks Tom! One last question: any suggestion as to the location of the two linked "cartertribe" images? Technically, I think that the widening of the Ad Pier was the same as Marine Station and that the land thus created was owned by DHB, with the SE&CR owning the station.

Offline Tom Burnham

• Appreciation 10
Re: Peckett 0-6-0ST with links to Dover
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 18:39:48 »
The Industrial Railway Society publication "Industrial Railways and Locomotives of Kent", published last year, confirms that Sir William Crundall was built by Peckett & Sons Ltd of Bristol in 1911 (they give 8 April 1911 as the date it left the factory) as works no 1241.  But they give the owners as the contractors S. Pearson & Son Ltd, who had the contract for Dover Harbour work for the Admiralty (1897-1909) and widening the Admiralty Pier, also for the Admiralty (1909-1914).  They also used Sir William Crundall for their contract for Dover Marine Station, for the South Eastern & Chatham Railway (1909-1913).  This seems to tally with the row of navvies in front of the loco in the excellent photo above.  Clearly the loco would only have been used towards the end of these contracts.  After Dover, Pearsons moved it to their contract for extending the Royal Albert Dock for the Port of London Authority.

I'm not aware that Dover Harbour Board had any locomotives of their own.  All the photos I've seen of trains on the seafront railway had main line locos (often P class 0-6-0T) of the South Eastern & Chatham/Southern/British Railways.

Regards,
Tom Burnham, Staplehurst

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
Peckett 0-6-0ST with links to Dover
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 11:56:47 »
I thought KHF might enjoy a discussion on this topic, along the lines (ha ha) of which, whose, when, why and where.

The same image of the little beauty in question appears at http://amandaguesthouse.whyteboard.co.uk/special-offers/sir-william-crundall and in ‘Images of England – Dover’, Hollingsbee 2000 (to which I treated myself), but with different captions.

The former says “Sir William was honoured by the Harbour Board in 1906, when they named one of the steam locomotives used to haul trains along the sea front and through the docks after him”, as does http://www.dover.freeuk.com/town/woodside.htm.  However, the date is dubious, if only because various sources give the laying of the Admiralty’s seafront line (initially fenced both sides) as 1917; it is absent from a postcard posted in 1915 but present in one of Edith Cavell’s homecoming in 1919.

The latter says “Steam locomotive the Sir William Crundall was named after a Dover Harbour Board chairman, local timber-merchant, developer and thirteen times mayor of Dover.  Mr Crundall managed to persuade the Kaiser to use Dover as a port of call for Atlantic liners in the early twentieth century.  The 1910 locomotive was built by Peckett & Sons of Bristol and was driven by Jack Squires.  An earlier engine created a stir when transported through the narrow streets and over the River Dour in 1899”.  1910 fits with http://www.industrial-loco.org.uk/locomotive_name_indexS.htm, which gives the works number as 1241 and the lists of Wiki and others which put no.1241 as between 1910 and 1912 (although Peckett’s numbering was both incomplete and non-sequential).  The image in Hollingsbee is quite good and appears (to me!) to show either 1241 or 1247; the NRM’s collection of Peckett engineering drawings [can't get the link to replicate] puts 1241 as a class X2.

The first caption ascribes ownership to DHB and Hollingsbee is not inconsistent with that (and states there was an earlier engine).  The snag is, why would DHB want an 0-6-0 in 1910?  They had no line to the (Admiralty’s) Eastern Docks, the liner trade on the PoW Pier had ceased and, according to the Dover Express in 1914, the 1904 spur in the Granville Dock was unused.  Arguably the only thing going on was the infilling adjacent to the Admiralty Pier for the building of Dover Marine station, a contract let to S Pearson and Son Ltd - who sourced the infill from Langdon Cliffs, transporting it by barge. 

Pearsons, who also built the Admiralty Harbour and the GWR’s Badminton line, were known for (re-)naming their engines with a connection to the contract, so perhaps they are a contender.  The image shows a group of navvies leaning on a temporary rail in front of the Peckett.  Grass is visible at ground level under the bunker and rising up through the cab and to the right.

Two other fine images of the Peckett, this time with crew and shunter, appear at:

http://www.thecartertribe.com/family/galleries/PJT_Collection/Transport/Trains/index.html#sir-william-crundall-tr15_462.jpg

http://www.thecartertribe.com/family/galleries/PJT_Collection/Transport/Trains/index.html#sir-william-crundall-tr14_336.jpg

Both are captioned ‘Dover Harbour Board’ and the grass background, behind the fenced line, appears level.

And there you have it; I have found nothing in the Newspaper Archives, so turn over your papers now..!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines