News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dargets Hill ?  (Read 366 times)

Offline Bri365

• Appreciation 0
Re: Dargets Hill ?
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 10:56:13 »
Back in 1982 I use to date a girl from Lordswood but I didn't drive then so I use to get the bus to go see her. I remember once in the snow, the bus driver told us all to get off the bus and walk the rest of the way up the hill in the snow as the bus was struggling to get traction on the icy road. Bugger of a hill it was and still is now.
Bri365

Offline OldMuzza

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 19:12:09 »
The Hill certainly could be "interesting"!

My parents bought the house immediately up-hill from what is now Birchfields (present-day photograph) around 1971. Although the house had an integral garage, my dad and I used to park on the drive - it was just long enough provided he parked more or less touching that garage door and I reversed far enough to hit his car! Not as bad as it sounds as we both had Vauxhall Viva HCs so the bumpers were at the same height.

My dad usually went on forwards but I usually reversed on as it was easier to get out. But reversing on required a bit of technique - I would drive up the hill just past the house, wait for a suitable gap in the traffic (from both directions) and then let the weight of the car provide the momentum to drop down the hill and swing onto the drive. I got very good in "doing it in one" without having to fiddle about aligning the car with the drive entrance - which wasn't that wide. There usually wasn't much time for that as the road was so busy!

Snow and ice added a whole new dimension to the manoeuvre - cars sliding sideways down the hill towards me, and me being unable to move quickly (in any direction) was not uncommon.

On one memorable occasion, dad and I were having breakfast when there was a loud "thud" and the house shook. Investigation revealed a car on its roof in the garden next door (up-hill to us) and our garden wall bent and broken from its footings as a result of it being hit by bits and pieces from the car. A few moments later there was another loud "thud" and on looking out of the kitchen window we saw a car in the garden of the first house in Birchfields - having completely demolished a (full) concrete grit-bin before coming to rest. By the time I left home to go to work, there was a car in the school playground, having gone through the chain-link fence, and at the junction of Princes Avenue/Walderslade Road there was a car lodged in the trees, having failed to make the right-hand turn into Princes Avenue.

My dad repaired the wall quite easily with the aid of a hydraulic car jack and some timber - apart from it having moved from its footings and cracking in the middle it was otherwise undamaged so he simply jacked it back into place. Whether subsequent owners have re-build the wall I don't know but it stood safely all the while we had the property.

Perhaps the most amusing incident was watching some young guys trying to drive a Mini up the hill in a snowstorm. One of them was bouncing about on the car trying to gain more traction. The trouble was he was jumping up and down on the rear bumper - and the Mini is of course front-wheel drive. They weren't making much progress ....... .

Even in good weather it could be exciting - we had to have a new garden wall as a result of one motorist attempting to overtake another car that was turning right into Birchfields. It was fortunate that I wasn't at home at the time as the rubble from the demolished wall ended up where my car would have been parked.

Yes - it could be scary at times!

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 15:12:29 »
That hill used to scare me rigid when we first moved to Dargets Wood ( married qtrs ) and was doubly scary when it snowed. ( 1965 ) And of course not so many houses and roads .

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 13:49:07 »
I have here a few pics of Dargets Road in the 40s , 60s and present day if that`s any help.
Hope x

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 12:38:35 »
On looking at recent photographs of the area, I now believe Prince Charles Ave, is the hill we went to,
it fits the bill more now I look at it, than Darget`s Hill.   
MoK

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 12:18:45 »
Earlier than that I believe.That bungalow is made of new bricks, it could have been knock down, then replaced by the brick one. Also there were a lot more trees and the hill, to my mind, looked a lot steeper.
Thanks for the photographs though, smiffy.
MoK

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 16:47:00 »
A couple of pictures which may help with your memory. They look as though they date from the right period.

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
Dargets Hill ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 12:08:30 »
 Seeing a comment about Walderslade, I can give `eye` photograph of a home in Walderslade.
A bunch of us lads aged about eight, were to visit one of the groups ` relations '. We started off from Castle Road, over the fields to Princes Ave, a dirt track of a road, partly made up here and there of crumbled concrete and kerb stones. We arrived, remember this would have been about 1935, to a very steep hill, to see a bungalow type of home on the left hand side of the hill. The lad said "come on , we are here "  we saw this home of corrugated iron sheets making up the home, placed upright with steps leading up to the front door. This was the second home on the hill, all the others as far as the eye could see were similar. Corrugated iron seem to be the in thing at that time.  Was it Darget`s Wood hill, the hill with bungalows on it, coming from Luton ?
MoK

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines