News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Short Brothers at Harty Sheppey  (Read 1301 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
Re: Short Brothers at Harty Sheppey
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 21:54:45 »
More likely, in the second photo, there is a boat on props seemingly under repair and as far as I know there wasn't a boat yard at Harty.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
Re: Short Brothers at Harty Sheppey
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 14:41:37 »
Having thought about it overnight I now think that the photos were taken at Short`s works at Rochester. The waterway is too narrow for the Swale and what I assumed were the Harty Ferry cottages are too close. Also all the Short 830s were built at Rochester.
Cable Street The Young'uns

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
Short Brothers at Harty Sheppey
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 13:08:57 »
From around 1912 to 1917 Short Brothers had a hanger at Harty from where they would launch their floatplanes.
Link to two photos of Short 830 floatplanes 1915. Click on images to enlarge.http://www.airteamimages.com/search.php?srch_keyword=RAF%20Eastchurch
The captions state that the photos were taken at Eastchurch. But note the waterway and boat-repair in one photo and the ramps and shingle in both photos.
I believe that the photos were taken at Harty.
Cable Street The Young'uns

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines