News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Caudrons over Sheppey  (Read 246 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1393
  • Appreciation 218
Caudrons over Sheppey
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 14:52:17 »
Founded by two brothers in 1909, Caudron was a French aircraft manufacturing company which remained in business until 1940. Two of its best known designs of the First World War were the Caudron G.3 and G.4. Both were built in large numbers and served not only with the Aviation Militaire but also with other allied air arms.

The Caudron G.3 was a single seat, single engine, design with twin tailbooms. It was used for armed reconnaissance early in the war and later as a trainer.
The Royal Naval Air Service acquired 189 G.3s of which 50 were built by the British Caudron Company. A Caudron G.3 played a active part in the defeat of the German light cruiser SMS Königsberg in East Africa in 1915, spotting for the monitors HMS Severn and HMS Mersey, but otherwise they were used mainly as trainers.

Eight Caudron G.3s served with the Eastchurch Naval Flying School.
Serial No.40. In use from   -3-1913. Deleted   -6-1914.
45. 1-4-13 to 7-8-14.
3277. 26-11-15. To Redcar 23-1-16.
3280. 26-6-15 to 2-3-16.
3281. 26-6-15. Wrecked 17-8-15, Flight Sub-Lieutenant C A Eyre injured.
3282. 2-7-15. Mid air collision with Short S-38 on 12-9-1915. FSL James M Alexander (G.3) and FSL Macfie Keith-Johnston both killed.
3283. 2-7-15. Wrecked 9-10-15.
3284. 2-7-15. Wrecked 9-12-15.

The Letecké Muzeum have recently completed their Caudron G.3 replica, albeit with a shorter wingspan and a radial engine. Click here to see video of machine in flight. Just pretend its Eastchurch in 1915 and not the Czech Republic in 2017!

The Caudron G.4 was a larger and later development of the G.3 with two crewmen and twin engines. As a reconnaissance bomber it was also used by France and its allies.
Forty-three French built and twelve British built  G.4s were used by the RNAS.

The following twelve Caudron G.4s were delivered to 4 Sqn/Wing at Eastchurch.
4 Squadron RNAS was at Eastchurch from 3-8-1915. It became 4 Wing 11-10-15, and remained at Eastchurch until April 1916.
3289. To ECNFS 1-8-15. To 4 Wing 3-8-15. To 1 Wing St Pol 23-9-15.
3290. To 4 Wing 13-10-15. Wrecked Gravesend 17-12-15.
3291. 4 Wing 22-9-15. To 1 Wing 23-9-15.
3292. 4 Wing 25-9-15. 1 wing 6-10-15.
3293. 4 Wing 22-9-15. 1 Wing 23-9-15.
3295. 4 Wing 25-9-15. 1 Wing 19-10-15.
3296. 4 Wing 25-9-15. 1 Wing 8-11-15.
3297. 4 Wing 3-10-15. 1 Wing 1-3-16.
3298. 4 Wing 3-10-15. To Rochford by 24-2-16.
3300. 4 Wing 4-11-15. To Dunkerque 24-2-16.
3333. 4 Wing 11-12-15. Deleted 14-3-16.
3334. 4 Wing 25-1-16. War Flight Eastchurch 16-4-16. To White City 22-5-16.


   
Don't Let the Devil Ride Chris and Abby

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines