News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Brook Chatham  (Read 456 times)

KeithJG

Re: The Brook Chatham
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 13:09:30 »
The Cabin was on our list with the pub crawls we had around 1968.

Also at that particular time in Medway you could go to a proper disco every night of the week.

There was a small disco above a shop by Waltons on Military Road but can never remember what it was called.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 09:20:44 »
AlanH,
As you say, many a good time was had in the cabin. I remember a couple of times the RN patrol coming in and rounding up the matelots (my late was one, but off duty)  Perhaps a bit heavy handed ?
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 08:30:22 »
Great pic of the Army and Navy pub. They had a bar downstairs called the Cabin from memory. Many fun times had there. Next door to the pub going along the Brook a family by the name of Wimble lived.
Old Tom Wimble ran about 6 taxis and I drove for him back in the late 60s. usually off the Town Hall rank opposite the pub.
Memories memories! So good to see these places after so long away.
Thnx. to you all.
AlanH.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 23:38:40 »
Terrific CAT, have you any more like that? Thanks for posting.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 20:01:34 »
Yes, that's The Brook CAT, I remember all those buildings on the right, now long gone. The Army and Navy pub is now named Churchills.
Thank you for the pic.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 18:52:20 »
I don't know the area particularly well, but I do have this image entitled 'The Brook, Chatham' in an extensive collection of glass slides from the late 1940's - mid 1950's.

Is it correctly labeled? 

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 18:30:58 »
The Brook was widened to accommodate the Chatham Ring Road which opened in 1995. So I would guess demolition would have started perhaps 1993 / 1994.

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 14:08:04 »
Can I ask, exactly when were those buildings demolished?

The strange thing is, I have been living in the Medway Towns all my life, and have been visiting Chatham frequently since I was a boy.

And yet I have no memory of those buildings at all!

In fact, I think I might have a picture of buildings along the Brook too. Back in the mid-90's I remember visiting the Brook Pumping Station during one of their open days, and I took a few pictures of the exhibits on display outside.

Recently, after many years, I actually found the original pictures from the time (I think it was dated 1994) - and on the hill that is opposite the Brook Pumping Station (on the other side of the road, which I think is Queen Street) can be seen some old derelict shops, which appear to be have been closed for years.

I'll try and find the pictures and put them up on here soon.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 20:32:59 »
Was Cage Lane, now Upbury Way. Not sure when and why the name changed. It's off the High street though, not the Brook.

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 19:18:24 »
Slicketts Hill, Upbury Way.
redge

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 19:12:22 »
Hi! What was the name of the steep road that was between the cinema on one side and le cores model shop on the other? Can anyone remember the small crowd that gathered there twice a week to watch the solders run up and down it, don't know why? They just appeared at the top, then split in two sections (the squad I mean, not the individual) then raced each other down and back up.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 13:25:53 »
I'm sure there is another quite lengthy Brook thread somewhere else on the forum.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 20:50:34 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

KeithJG

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 19:17:26 »
I found a couple in my collection....

Brook Motorcycles was just by Slicketts Hill and Gerry Paice the owner did rallying in his red Ford Cortina 1500GT

I used to go in there and show him pictures I took of him on various rallies in Kent before they were banned, as I did marshalling out in the woods at night.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines