News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Brook Chatham  (Read 853 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Re: The Brook Chatham
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 20:50:34 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

KeithJG

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 19:17:26 »
I found a couple in my collection....

Brook Motorcycles was just by Slicketts Hill and Gerry Paice the owner did rallying in his red Ford Cortina 1500GT

I used to go in there and show him pictures I took of him on various rallies in Kent before they were banned, as I did marshalling out in the woods at night.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 12:56:08 »
Two photos of the junction of The Brook and Slicketts Hill, Chatham, shortly before demolition and road widening. Unsure of the date but perhaps C1990?

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 18:15:46 »
Incidentally old photos I have seen show the name of the thoroughfare as 'Brook' - no 'the'. Can't honestly say I've looked recently to see what it's now called.
                                                                                                                                                                 James

It is still just Brook (no 'The') on the street sign attached to 'The Brook' (formerly Churchill's/Army & Navy Pub), though the building has "No. 7 The Brook" as its number.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

patmore

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 01:48:52 »
At a guess I would put the timberwork on the left of the photo about where the police station is now.The 1932 map of this area on Old Maps.co.uk places these six properties at a point roughly where Crown House is today.  The raised pavement (Smithfield Bank) dropped to road level at the bottom of King Street. The thought of this having originally been a front to the tidal waters of the Brook appeals to me, I can see no other reason for its construction. The general state of dereliction about the buildings might suggest that this is just before the big facelift of the whole area - early 1970s.
                                                                                                                                                              James

patmore

The Brook Chatham
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:28:22 »
Older Forum Members may remember, as I can, the northern, or Great Lines side of the Brook, having a raised pavement several feet above road level. This I believe was called Smithfield Bank. I once read, or was told, I can't remember which, that this had originally been a waterfront. Incidentally old photos I have seen show the name of the thoroughfare as 'Brook' - no 'the'. Can't honestly say I've looked recently to see what it's now called.
                                                                                                                                                                 James

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines