News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Anti-tank Obstacles, Canal Road, Strood  (Read 399 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Anti-tank Obstacles, Canal Road, Strood
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 12:54:03 »
The fenced area has been cleared by the looks of it, I would assume those on Cancal Road beside the river are likely to remain.  The ones in the fenced area were unearthed and just placed around the site, these likely ran through from the rover to the railway, so although already moved, they were likely from the site they were on.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 01:57:55 »
I can't confirm this but I read the other day that the ones being removed had already been moved there from somewhere else.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 23:47:06 »
These are still showing on street view, but I don't know how old the street view images are......

they are just down the road from the pub

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline prb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 22:04:26 »
I have been told the anti-tank obstacles in Canal Road have been destroyed can anybody confirm please.. 

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 23:49:22 »
Some others that remain here but are no longer embedded in the ground.

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 23:03:29 »
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3962686,0.502298,3a,37.5y,79.82h,82.67t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1syUSmccOrjZYIBNtvoI-tRA!2e0

On google streetview the blocks are in front of the "meal deal" sign on side of Riverside pub garden

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 20:13:01 »
Looking for the blocks mentioned in Peterj's post, I took the time slider on google earth back to 1940, I can't see anything showing but interestingly it does show a 6 long lines of pimples running inland from the existing ones, these must have been destroyed when the factory? building was built.Also just by the rail line there appears to be a lot in a triangle of land more plus three larger blocks

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
Anti-tank Obstacles, Canal Road, Strood
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 23:09:20 »
I parked up today to have a look at the anti tank obstacles in Canal Road Strood and then noticed that a bit further along the road, just before the pub, there are large stone blocks which form what looks like the remains of a small oblong building. Does anyone have any information on this structure?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines