News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: A.R.P. training Chatham.  (Read 1853 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
Re: A.R.P. training Chatham.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 20:49:10 »
I'm sure I've seen a photograph of the AFS post in Ordnance street somewhere.

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 19:01:42 »
Correct smiffy, right at the very top, in their playground. It was a small underground shelter, with about half a dozen steps leading down to it, about 12 ft x 4ft,  Miss Bishop was a warden.                     
The only other warden I remember was, Dusty Miller. He was about 44 called up then killed on his first drop over Germany. One of the messengers said he was made up to warden when he reached 18. I don`t remember that.
MoK

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 23:05:44 »
lutonman1, I have always assumed these posts in Ordnance Street were based at the old girl's school near the top - would I be correct?

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 16:53:23 »
Forgot until now, next door the the A.R.P. post in Ordnance St. was an A.F.S. post  (Auxiliary Fire Service) which had several small pumps, on two wheels, towed behind a car, usually. New houses on site now.
MoK

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
A.R.P. training Chatham.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 12:53:42 »
When five lads decided to join the A.R.P. in 1941, as Messengers, we went to the house, at the top of Manor Road, where it joins the New Road Ave. First it was a written entry exam. We all past that section. We then had the practical section out in the yard, after we were given overalls. First Aid, including bandaging each other up, stirrup pump training, to quell small fires, shown how to deal with incendiary bombs.  German /British plane recognition. Last of all, the dreaded ` tear gas chamber ` where we had to put gas masks on, after a minute or so. We all came out with streaming eyes. I managed it, although I suffered from Asthma. Later we went to a clothing store, can`t remember where, to be issued with a tin helmet, uniform of blouse/trousers, a yellow lanyard, a whistle, black gaiters, boots, greatcoat, gas mask and bag, goggles, we used our own cycles. Then we were all posted to the Ordnance Street Post. We did `an all night` once a week, and attended every air raid during the evening and night.
MoK

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines