News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Gas Masks.  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
Re: Gas Masks.
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2018, 23:36:10 »
Paolo, many thanks for your time, lovely shots, thanks for the memories.

Offline Paolo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2018, 13:18:43 »
As you say, Signals99, we are far from topic but this link may help.  I believe what you may be looking for is included in the clip about 3 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Y-uSR1krk

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2018, 09:19:31 »
We appear to have wandered far from 'gas mask' themes,so here goes on V1 further useless information:- the RE recoverd a V1 from Germany some time in the late forties,this particular V1 was unique in the fact that it had rudimentary flight controls and a crude cockpit. The story goes that Hanna Riche a lady test pilot had flown it. As a tec store man it was in my charge for a while. It eventualy ended up at Fort Clarence in bomb alley, Somwhere on the forum there is a very interesting report of its history. It was handed over to a civilian organisation who rebuilt it. Love to see a picture of it now, can anyone help?

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 20:22:43 »
Signals99. It is interesting- to me anyway - & I suspect Lyn & maybe others. The Kinetic energy of a V2 hitting the ground would be enormous without the explosion so " scrap metal" would be the fate of everything. Hence Lyn's sphere almost certainly would have been from a V1.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 15:30:32 »
There is a thread here about V1 and V2 hits on Kent:

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=7582.0

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 11:26:47 »
Smiffy,point taken ref V 2 impact sevivivabilty of debre,and as you say most probably a V1.
But some times the main charge faild to explode ,we were told that a batch of fuzes had been sabotaged by workers forced to manufacture them,so most of the damage caused by "infused"rockets was in fact collateral,the RE bomb disposal  unit at Fort Clarence had some realy good photos of such an incident the debrie was mainly remains of the air frame .hardly recognisable,as a v2.cant rely on my memory after fifty or so years  .sorry this has absolutely nothing to do with respirators (military nonclamiture for gas mask) just thought it may interest some one

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 17:38:11 »
Signals99 is correct about one of the ball shape tanks in V2 being T-stoff!

Agreed that one of these is unlikely to survive both the impact and blast in any easily recognised shape.
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 17:15:34 »
Thank you MartinR,
I wouldn't have a clue to be honest, I didn't check google out  :) I'm just glad I wasn't born until all was quite peaceful again.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 17:07:44 »
There is a V2 rocket at the Royal Engineers Museum in Gillingham, I don't know if that is the one Signals99 remembers from Chattenden.  By the way, the propellant in the V2 was B-stoff.  T-stoff was used in catapults and the ME 163 & 263.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Stoffhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stoffs is also interesting, if at times slightly macabre.

Lyn, I thought a doodlebug was a V1; Wiki certainly thinks so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 16:38:45 »
Thank you Smiffy,
 I think you are right about it being a V1 , haven't asked my brother , wrong time ( he lost his wife this morning )
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 13:19:26 »
Probably one of the spherical compressed air bottles from a V1. Highly unlikely to come from a V2 - they hit the ground at 1800 mph!

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 00:53:13 »
Greetings Dave, there were two '  ball shaped things' in the v 2 rocket,one was the LOX `tother contained an agent called T STOF, a reactant, all part of the fuel system, neither very pleasant.
There was a fully seconalised V 2 in the RE museum at Chattenden when I was in the mob, surprising how large it was, wonder what hapend to the contents of the bomb disposal museum when Lodge Hill closed?
All the best!
signals 99.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 22:39:32 »
Dave Smith...
It wasn't a doodlebug , hadn't got head screwed on . It was either a V1 or V2  but was a ball shaped thing inside it that hit the house , went through the roof and landed in the bedroom. They were quite safe in the Morrison, but just all very shaken and glad to get out alive.
I'll try and get one or other of my brothers to tell me.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 19:52:22 »
Lyn L. The Doodle bugs were later on in the war &, if my memory serves me correctly, by then we didn't bother with gas masks. The Morrison shelter obviously did its job as they were inside the house & you "scrambled" in, hoping that its strength- they were made with 2" x 2" angle iron frame- would keep debris at bay.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 19:38:23 »
Yes, to Herne Bay ( Barnsole Road School) by train the day before war was declared. We shared the local school; one week we went mornings & they afternoons, the next week vice versa. See my Wartime memories on that thread. One year there &, as France had fallen & the Germans were getting close, the school went to Bargoed in S.Wales. My parents would never have been able to visit so I went to an aunt in Shepperton, Middx., finally home in July 1942. Still many nights in our Anderson shelter but we had then become a bit blasť as most was going over on its way to London, including of course, many Doodlebugs( I can still hear their throbbing engines!).

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines