News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HELP ! information sought for QUEENBOROUGH vessel  (Read 4336 times)

Offline wightboy

• Appreciation 0
Re: HELP ! information sought for QUEENBOROUGH vessel
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 20:52:14 »
If this was the Edward Strains who died in 1810 at age 27, then he would have been 23 in 1806, I guess that's still possible...
The Naval Stores entry-

From the York Herald - Saturday 07 September 1805 John and Phoebe, Coverdale, from Woolwich", with naval stores.

Loss of vessel-

From the  Hampshire Chronicle -  Monday 29 December 1806 Tuesday (23.1.1806) night last, the John and Phoebe, of Queensborough, Edward Strains, master, laden with stone, and bound to London, sunk nearly apposite to Hurst Castle; the wind blew very hard and it was with the utmost difficulty the crew were saved.

Hope that's of some help.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 18:07:52 »
Then, as today, you had to sit and pass a rigorous examination to qualify as a ships Master. Before he would have even been eligible to sit the examination, he would have had to have served a number of years as a Mate first. To qualify as a Mate, he would have had to complete a three-year apprenticeship, where in addition to basic literacy, he would have had to study algebra, geometry, trigonometry, astronomy and navigation. If you started young enough, there was no reason why Edward Strain would not have been a fully qualified and experienced Ships's Master at the age of 27. James Cook (the explorer) had served as a Mate on a number of merchant ships before he joined the Royal Navy, having joined the Merchant Navy as an apprentice at the age of 16. James Cook signed on as an Able Seaman in HMS Eagle at the age of 27 in 1755 and was appointed as a Masters Mate very soon after.

As far as the vessel's name is concerned, that could literally have come from anywhere, though it would be nice to think that the vessel's owners named her after their children.

I searched the National Maritime Museum's website for any record of the John and Phoebe, sadly there aren't any.

Where did you find the record of the vessel carrying naval stores from Woolwich? The layout of the text looks like an entry from Lloyds List, if so then Coverdale was the name of her Master for that voyage. Also, where did you find the information about her final voyage?
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline wightboy

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 18:29:29 »
Thank you for the replies.

Edward Strains may well have been the master of the vessel, he would seem to have been quite young but I guess things were a bit different 200 years ago!
On the question of names, the vessel name - John & Phoebe, would that be relevant to the first names of the owners? or maybe the owners children?

With the possibility of the vessel being hired by the Royal Navy, would there be any RN records that may have some more detail?
I know it's a big ask but hope something will turn up.  Thanks again for your help.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 13:58:57 »
Oh my, you certainly have a job on your hands there. I've had a quick search of Lloyds List for a few months either side of the date of her loss and can find nothing. I've also had a quick look at The Naval Chronicle and The Gazette, which also proved fruitless. I'll keep looking though...

John and Phoebe, Coverdale, from Woolwich", with naval stores. Which may suggest she was used/hired by the Navy.

It was quite commonplace for the Royal Navy to hire merchant vessels to carry naval stores amongst other things.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 10:59:51 »
Quite a quest you have set yourself.  GoodLuck. :)

The only viable person I can see to fit your parameter is :=

Edward Strains Born of James & Ann. Baptised Faversham 7 December 1783
Died/Buried  16 February 1810  age 27 Faversham. Also in Death Duty Registers, March 1810 for Faversham £330 to be paid hereafter.

Offline wightboy

• Appreciation 0
HELP ! information sought for QUEENBOROUGH vessel
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 09:22:35 »
Hello

I am researching the history of an old sailing vessel and wonder if anyone may be able to help me!

The boat was called ‘JOHN & PHOEBE’ or ‘JOHN and PHOEBE’ she was a coastal sailing vessel that sank off the Isle of Wight on/around the 23 January 1806.  She was on passage from Portland/Dorset (probably) with a cargo of stone bound for London.  Information I have suggests that her home port was QUEENBOROUGH and her master at the time of loss was EDW STRAINS, (Edward/Edwin?)
The only other reference I have found so far is for Saturday 07 September 1805 - "John and Phoebe, Coverdale, from Woolwich", with naval stores. Which may suggest she was used/hired by the Navy.

My questions are many !
1.       Is there any record of the boat at QUEENBOROUGH?
2.       When, where and by which yard was she built?
3.       What type of vessel was she (I would estimate she was approx’ 18-25 metres long)
4.       Who was the owner?
5.       Was EDW STRAINS the owner and master or an employee?
6.       Was EDW STRAINS a local man?
7.       The master and crew are reported as having been rescued from the sinking boat would there be any record of them returning to QUEENBOROUGH?
8.       Is there any record of the boat being used/hired by the Navy?

I realise that this was all a long time ago and there may well be no records at all but if you are able to help me in any way; with any information at all about the boat/crew I would be most grateful.  Any other suggestions as to where I may be able to make enquiries would also be very welcome.

Hope you can help

Many thanks

Martin Pritchard
Isle of Wight

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines