News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whitehall, Rochester  (Read 244 times)

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
Re: Whitehall, Rochester
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 23:03:24 »
This map dates from 1822 but I think it may be slightly later as only Horsnail's Mill is visible.

In that case kyn's mill must be Horsnail's, which would make sense as the base is circular, as in a post mill.  As said on other Medway windmill threads, there is a hell of a lot of of work to do here!

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 22:31:54 »
This map dates from 1822 but I think it may be slightly later as only Horsnail's Mill is visible.

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 21:12:42 »
This one?  Top Centre.  Sorry I don't have a date for this, but Fort Pitt is still a hospital.

This I think is Borstal Mill on Borstal Road.  According to Coles-Finch (so take it with a pinch of salt) built about 1870 and pulled down about 1885.

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 18:33:02 »
I haven't yet tried to conquer this lot in terms of history.  There were  at least three in the area of which two smock mills as mentioned in the sale notice of 1772, which were then probably fairly newly built.  One of them was burned down in 1774, initially thought to have been arson, but later realised to be down to friction and overheating.

The remaining smock, which I guess is the one in the engraving, was I believe Zenith Mill, owned by Mr Huggins, and this was burned down at the end of November, 1825.  Coles-Finch describes this as a post mill, which is a bit odd.

The survivor, ironically, was the oldest and a post mill known as Horsnails Mill, after its owner.  Built c.1700, it outlasted the newer ones and despite serious storm damage in 1863 continued working into the 1870s.  It was taken down in the early 1880s, and I have lovely photo of it which shall remain in my vault until I ever get the Medway windmills volume of my book done.

And it wouldn't surprise me if there were others!

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 16:59:51 »
Fontenay Nursing Home on the corner of Watts Avenue has a similar layout to the building beside the windmill.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 16:52:52 »
This one?  Top Centre.  Sorry I don't have a date for this, but Fort Pitt is still a hospital.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 15:38:52 »
Mill at St Margaret's Rochester Kent c.1808-1817.
View of a windmill and two barns, seen from a path that curves around from the left; in background to the left is St Margaret's Church. Etching and aquatint.
The Trustees of the British Museum. Museum number Ee, 12.56.
With St Margaret's Church in the background is it possible to locate this windmill on a map?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 14:34:48 »
Found this reference but no information.  However, this could refer to Whitehall, London not Whitehall and Cobham Hall both in Kent....

WILLIAMSON, Joseph (1633-1701), of Whitehall and Cobham Hall, Kent.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 12:46:36 »
Nice find. In maps from this period there are actually three windmills marked as being in St.Margaret's, but I have no knowledge of any part of Rochester ever going by the name of Whitehall.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
Whitehall, Rochester
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:20:03 »
Came across the following by accident when searching for 'Mercury' in connection with Friday's mill of the Star Hill thread.  It's from the Kentish Gazette of 10 March 1772 and what caught my eye were the TWO smock mills in St Margaret's.  However, I've started a new thread as these are said to be freehold as opposed to the leasehold later associated with St Catherine's Hospital.  I'm not from the area and so have no idea where Whitehall is/was in the parish.

It's English, Jim, but not as we know it!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines