News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Flight Lieutenant J. A. Paterson, M.B.E.  (Read 2271 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
Re: Flight Lieutenant J. A. Paterson, M.B.E.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 21:56:58 »
James Paterson was born in New Zealand in 1919 and learnt to fly after applying for a short service commission with the RNZAF. He sailed for the UK in April 1939 and was posted to No. 82 Squadron RAF, flying the Bristol Blenheim Mk IV. On the outbreak of war he was posted to 71 Wing in France, flying reconnaissance flights for the British Expeditionary Force. In late 1939 he joined No. 226 Squadron, flying the Fairey Battle. In May 1940 he flew supply flights during the British retreat, for which he was awarded the MBE, gazetted 1st January 1941.

On returning to the UK, Paterson volunteered for Fighter Command. After converting to the Spitfire he was posted to No. 92 Squadron at Pembrey in South Wales, where he shared in the downing of two JU 88's. In early September the squadron moved to Biggin Hill. F/Lt Paterson claimed a Me 110 on the 11th September. Later that same day he was badly burnt about the face and neck when he was shot down by Me Bf 109's. He baled out and his Spitfire, R6613, crashed north-east of Ashford.

F/Lt Paterson insisted on returning to 92 Squadron despite the impaired vision caused by his burns. On the 27th September he was shot down in flames by Me Bf 109's near Maidstone. He failed to escape from his burning plane and the Spitfire, X4422, crashed at Sparepenny Lane, Farningham.

Flight Lieutenant James Alfred Paterson MBE. 1919-1940.
Buried St Mary Cray Cemetery, plot E, div 3, grave 129.

http://www.bbm.org.uk/airmen/PatersonJA.htm
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline Glen

• Appreciation 6
    • Kent Today & Yesterday
Flight Lieutenant J. A. Paterson, M.B.E.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 00:46:14 »

Sparepenny Lane, Farningham erected by the Shoreham Aircraft Museum.

Glen

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines