News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: POSSIBLE NAVAL ACTION OFF KENT IN 17th Century  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 15
Re: POSSIBLE NAVAL ACTION OFF KENT IN 17th Century
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 19:43:33 »
It could be they are sailors from the British ships who died of natural causes while at anchor in the downs.

The Downs is the area of sea lying between the Kentish town of Deal and the Goodwin Sands, and was a very important anchorage for merchant shipping during the age of sail. Ships would lie at anchor, sometimes for weeks, sheltered from the East by Goodwins and from the North by the mainland between the North and South Forelands, as they waited for a favourable wind to carry them down the English Channel to the West.

From Elizabethan times, the presence of Downs helped to make Deal one of the main ports in England, and in the 19th century, it was equipped with its own telegraph and timeball tower, to enable ships to set their marine chronometers.

From Royal Maritime Greenwich

There was a battle of the Downs 1639? but that was between the Dutch and Spanish.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
Re: POSSIBLE NAVAL ACTION OFF KENT IN 17th Century
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 16:32:43 »
Could they have come from ships wrecked on the Goodwins, not war casualties?

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
POSSIBLE NAVAL ACTION OFF KENT IN 17th Century
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 15:20:23 »
During my delving into the Church Records of Deal, specifically St Leonard's Church, I find that a great many sailors from the Royal Navy (or whatever it was called then) were buried there. They are listed by name and ship and I assumed it was a result of the war with the Dutch. On consulting a reference book, I saw that the Dutch war didn't start until around 1850 and these burials are between the 1630's and 40's.
Do any of you well-informed people know of a war that would have resulted in many of His Majesty's sailors being killed in an action near to Deal?
I would be very interested to hear opinions.

Alastair

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines