News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: War Department Roads in WW1  (Read 244 times)

Offline Blakey

• Appreciation 0
Re: War Department Roads in WW1
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 18:43:34 »
Nice wagon Blakey (for an overtype..). Where are you based? As there are more than a few who would not mind meeting Kate in person. There is at least one Traction engine owner within these hallowed portals, and me of course.

Sentinel S4...

You'd be more than welcome to experience a wagon of superior build and construction than one of those "Sentinel" things Doug, not sure that i'd allow a ginger traction engine owner on it though - although his daughter had a ride at Woodchurch last year (said ginger traction engine owner told me to put this!) 

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 21:07:26 »
Out of interest "Herb Collector" why do you refure to it as a "Cootie Wagon" ?

Cootie = body louse, flea.
During the latter part of WWI the Americans referred to disinfecting trucks as 'Cootie wagons' as they helped keep the flea population down.

Very nice wagon, good luck with the research.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 20:39:30 »
Nice wagon Blakey (for an overtype..). Where are you based? As there are more than a few who would not mind meeting Kate in person. There is at least one Traction engine owner within these hallowed portals, and me of course.

Sentinel S4...
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Blakey

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 19:51:59 »
Excellent stuff, thank you all for your help.

I've ordered a copy of the book - thanks for the link! Out of interest "Herb Collector" why do you refure to it as a "Cootie Wagon" ?

My specific interest is in tracing the history of one particular wagon, Foden 7536 a 5 ton tipping wagon which left Foden's works in October 1917, at some point (I believe during her time at the War Department) "she" was named "KATE" and so part of my endevour is to find out who "Kate" was, so I want to try and trace where this wagon went and if possible find out who drove her, and as much history on the wagon as possible.

My interest is due to the fact that I am the very proud owner of "Kate"

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 06:34:32 »
It is interesting to note that it was the Kent County Surveyor Henry (later Sir Henry) Maybury who had been seconded to Whitehall and the Road Board who oversaw WD requests for new or improved roads for new camps, etc,  in the run up to WW1. He had made a name for himself improving Kent`s roads and later, with military rank, was in charge of roads in France, administering a huge workforce. During the inter-war period he was an influential civil servant and largely responsible for our trunk road network.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 21:11:03 »
Yes, road making would have fallen into the RE remit.
The Royal Engineers had Road Construction Companies as well as Quarry Companies to provide the material for road and rail construction.
Google Road Construction Companies Royal Engineers for more info.
I believe, check before visiting, that the Road Construction diaries are held at the Royal Engineers Museum at Gillingham.
The following book may be of interest, I have not seen a copy to comment on how useful it might be.
Work of the Royal Engineers in the European War 1914-1918: Forward Communications. Col G H Addison. 1926.
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=733311950&searchurl=sortby%3D1

Nice photos of a 'Cootie Wagon'!

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 20:13:51 »
Does anyone with knowledge of such matters know where I could start looking to find out more? Would "road making" have fallen into the Royal Engineers remit? 

How about the Labour Corps, Please see here              

and here.

Offline Blakey

• Appreciation 0
War Department Roads in WW1
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 19:04:56 »
Sorry if this is slightly "off topic" but I wonder if anyone who is on here is able to help.

I am doing some research into commercial vehicles used during WW1, especially the Foden Steam Wagons. Many of these wagons were built as 5 ton tipping wagons, and used for carrying road making materials.

I have a copy of the original Foden drawing with the lettering, and on the bodies they were sign written "WD ROADS" and                                                                        on the front it says "space for Depot Number - to range from 80,060C to 80,149C" and the drawing is labeled "General Arrangement of 'Foden' 5 Ton Tipping Wagon - with lettering for the Ministry of Munitions"

Does anyone with knowledge of such matters know where I could start looking to find out more? Would "road making" have fallen into the Royal Engineers remit? 

I am aware that lots of these wagons carried flat bed bodies and carried "Thresh Disinfector" (the spelling errors are correct!) as shown in the attached photos, however the particular wagons i am interested in are the tipping wagons.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines