News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Some Rochester events...  (Read 8159 times)

merc

Re: Some Rochester events...
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 19:37:49 »

1831 The justice tree,an elm under which the Court of Pie Powder ??? was held,was cut down.
A plate in the pavement at Boley hill marks the spot.

A form of peoples court, from the French Pied Poudre (dusty feet). I thought there was still a tree there? P

<
br />

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 23:10:46 »
all the train stations:
strood station
rochester bridge station
rochester central station
rochester station
chatham central station
and chatham station

merc

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 22:26:04 »
This map shows where the Baths were:

merc

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 22:20:40 »
1880 - Watts Public Baths were opened.Prior to this event little interest had been shown in the art of swimming,however by 1882 a total of 15,917 bathers had been recorded.
where is the location of where these were ??? any ideas ???
The baths were on the Esplanade by the Castle,they closed in 1935.
They had a first class and second class plunge baths,plus a swimming bath.

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 22:06:21 »
1300 - King Edward I visited Rochester on the 18th February and offered the sum of 7s at St. William's Shrine.
The next day the king gave Richard Lambert 12s in recompense for the loss of a horse hired from him for the service of the king,which,while crossing over the bridge,was blown into the Medway and drowned :(

how can a horse be blown in a river lol

1880 - Watts Public Baths were opened.Prior to this event little interest had been shown in the art of swimming,however by 1882 a total of 15,917 bathers had been
recorded.
where is the location of where these were ??? any ideas ???

merc

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 21:46:46 »
1300 - King Edward I visited Rochester on the 18th February and offered the sum of 7s at St. William's Shrine.
The next day the king gave Richard Lambert 12s in recompense for the loss of a horse hired from him for the service of the king,which,while crossing over the bridge,was blown into the Medway and drowned :(

1563 - Richard Watts was elected M.P. for the City.

1579 - Richard Watts founded his charity for six poor traveller's, "Who not being rogues or proctors,may receive gratis for one night,lodging,entertainment,and fourpence each"
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topi
c=2607.0

1641 - French Abassador,Jaques d'estampes,Marquis de la Ferteimbaut,Marshall of France passed through Rochester on his travels and a gentleman of his suite observed the following: "The country is beautiful,especially near tha large village of Rochester,which is chiefly observable on account of it's Bridge,furnished with high railings,that drunkards,not uncommon here,may not mix water with their wine o:) ;D

1727 - The Rochester Oyster Fishery act was passed and the admiralty Court was established.
This Court is still held once a year today.

1732 - William Hogarth and his friends,Scott,Tothall,Thornhill and Forrest visited Rochester on their Perambulation through Kent.
They took refreshment at the "Crown" and Hogarth and Scott played Hopscotch in the Collonade under the Guildhall.

1852 - A Saxon or Jutish burial ground was found at the foot of Star Hill.

1876 - Borstal Priso
n was established.At first an offshoot of the convict prison at Chatham,in the early 1900's what is now known as the "Borstal System" was introduced - Men and Boys working together.
The results were not a satisfactory mixture and after a time the place and its system was given over to boys only,and became very successful.
Up to 1908-09 it was listed in Kelly's Directory as "H.M. Convict Prison",and from 1909-10 as "H.M. Borstal Institution".

1880 - Watts Public Baths were opened.Prior to this event little interest had been shown in the art of swimming,however by 1882 a total of 15,917 bathers had been recorded.

merc

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 19:49:36 »

1831 The justice tree,an elm under which the Court of Pie Powder ??? was held,was cut down.

A form of peoples court, from the French Pied Poudre (dusty feet). I thought there was still a tree there? P

Aha..Cheers Pete ;)

I will have to have a look next time i'm in Rochester.

seafordpete

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 14:40:52 »

merc

Some Rochester events...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:22:39 »
I've currently got an interesting library book full of dates and events in Rochester.

I thought i'ld share a few with you:

1824 The first public gas street lights were erected in Minor Cannon row. In previous years inhabitants had called it Black Barracks,but this was mostly refering to the clerical dress.

1836 The first part of Charles Dickens novel Pickwick Papers was published.
In the opening chapters Mr Pickwick
and the Pickwickians come to Rochester and stay at the Bull hotel.
(I think it's this book there's also a bit about the siege operations on the Great Lines,that Charles dickens used to watch)

1856 The new road bridge over the river Medway,built by Sir william Cubitt and paid for by the bridge trust was completed.
This bridge situated some 40 yards downstream of the medieval bridge,was constructed of cast iron with a central span of 170 feet and two side spans of 140 feet.
Unfortunatly its arches gave too little headroom and after accidents in 1896,1906 and 1907,when lighters broke away large pieces of arches,the supestructure was rebuilt in 1914.

1857 Part of the old medieval bridge was blown up by the royal engineers.
The rest was removed by the Rochester builders,Foords with delays while the council decided on the line of the esplanade where the bridge stone was to be reused.
It was not untill 1864 that all the works associated with the
new and old bridges and the esplanade were completed.

1899 Two convicts escaped from Borstal prison. One was shot,the other was found hiding in the top of an ivy-covered wall in the Castle.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines